Problems with Files app in iOS 11

lcasta

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site
I am using iOS 11 beta on a 12.9" iPad Pro. When using the Files app and trying to access files On My iPad, the resultant screen is blank as if there were no files on the iPad. The Files app does show iCloud files (although not Dropbox or Google Drive files and I can't find a way to log into those services in the app). Has anyone else observed these problems and does anyone have any solutions?

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Right now, the Files app appears to be limited to iCloud and local storage, but it works. It displays the recently used files - at least it does for me -, but 3rd-party access is a no-go.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Does the app suuport (or appear to support) edit in place, or do you have to download local copies of files to edit them?

I have an excel file that I edit on my phone.
It’s saved to my iCloud Drive and every time I want to edit it with Microsoft Excel it downloads the file, let me edit it and uploads it back to iCloud Drive. I don’t have to download the file myself in order to edit it.

JSEPhD

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know whether they Files app will work with external media like the SanDisc iXpand drives? It's probably too early to tell, since I would expect that SanDisk would have to update their app first.

anilla02

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
I am having the same problem. I use procreate and I can't import anything into it because it takes me straight to the file manager. It's a TOTAL disaster. It has rendered procreate useless for me.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
So, let's just say I have files stored on the phone (imported directly via iTunes) for Word.
Opening up Files, it show's me Locations like Dropbox, iCloud, etc - but still nothing for locally saved files.
It seems that if I use Search, it will find them - that's a guess, the found files don't show a 'download' icon, as might be expected on a cloud service - but there's no Local folder in the Browse section of the app.

So that's it? That's Files? Doing what other apps that actually use the type of file do anyway?
Wow. Just wow.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meh