Post-purchase: Are you switching from Windows?

Would you switch from Windows to Mac?

• Yes, absolutely!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • ... UHH NO?

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Cella Lao Rousseau

Staff Writer, iMore.com
Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Xbox vs. Playstation. iPhone vs. Android... There are these polarizing little pieces of tech that have the world divided in one way or another, but at the top of that list is the Windows vs. Mac debate, and it's been raging for years.

Which is the better platform? Is there even a true winner? Some of these questions cannot be answered... (Mac vs PC: Which should you buy?, Tech Advisor)

The war between Mac and Windows devotees has been raging for decades… (Mac vs. Windows: Your Best Arguments, LifeHacker)

Why do these devices cause such loyalty and affections from users, when they could buy a perfectly good PC for a lot less money? (Mac vs PC, MacWorld)

Now we're asking the big question and want to know your thoughts: Are you switching from Windows? Why or why not? Is there a particular Mac or Apple product that's stolen your Windows-loving heart?

We're wondering why you'd ever switch from Windows!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My first windows machine was a Packard Bell 25 MHz machine running Windows 3.1, I believe, and DOS. It had one 5-1/4 inch floppy drive and one 3-1/2 inch disk drives. I bought a 300 baud modem for it, too. I joined as many bulletin boards sites I could find and had a blast. I think I've had every Windows version up to Vista - Maybe Windows 7. Anyway, in 2009, I purchased a MacBook and after learning the way things were done of it, I've been a Mac person ever since. I find the to be powerful, well-built, well- supported, no-nonsense machines.

Last edited:

johnlong1

Jan 1, 2017
Visit site
I'd like a better managed experience than Windows. Something stable, apps/info portable among devices, holistic, secure, privacy, no junk.

But...
Upgradeability?
Multi-monitor?
The original user experience of the iPhone and iPod gestures was revolutionary. The Apple apps simplicity was great at the time.

But now?

Apple still needs to innovate[/U] the user experience to include new and better....not be ultra conservative and stale. Or worse yet, create something too complicated for most users to use (some gestures remind me of hidden tricks for enthusiasts).

Also, Apple needs to focus more on business and productivity users, not just "creative" users.

Since the ecosystem is mainly all Apple, we have to rely on a single source for innovation.

There's a lot of opportunity, I hope Apple's user experience team does a much better job.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I've been a Windows user since 3.1 and a Linux user since before that. I switched from M$ to Mac earlier this year when I bought a used (2011) iMac that I upgraded to High Sierra, 500 gig ssd and 16 gigs of memory. It ran better than my Dell Precision M4700 (i7, 32 gigs ram). Photoshop and Lightroom run great on it. So a few months ago I (well, work paid for it) bought a 2016 MacBook Pro with touch bar and it's been great so far. Unfortunately I still have to support some Windows users so I have Windows 10 running in Parallels. I still use my Dell for gaming (big Steam user) but my MacBook Pro and iMac get used most of the time.

sanjula01

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Macs are awesome. Their ease of use, stability surpasses Windows PC's but I have both Windows PC's and Macs because both of them have their positives and negatives. For example, I would stick with Windows just for the array of software that is built for it and the good old file explorer. I would stick with Macs just for the speed and reliability.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'd like a better managed experience than Windows. Something stable, apps/info portable among devices, holistic, secure, privacy, no junk.

But...
Upgradeability?
Multi-monitor?
The original user experience of the iPhone and iPod gestures was revolutionary. The Apple apps simplicity was great at the time.

But now?

Apple still needs to innovate[/U] the user experience to include new and better....not be ultra conservative and stale. Or worse yet, create something too complicated for most users to use (some gestures remind me of hidden tricks for enthusiasts).

Also, Apple needs to focus more on business and productivity users, not just "creative" users.

Since the ecosystem is mainly all Apple, we have to rely on a single source for innovation.

There's a lot of opportunity, I hope Apple's user experience team does a much better job.

Soooooo why are you switching from Windows?....

OodlesReef

Dec 19, 2017
Visit site
I used to be happy using both/whatever work required. Windows 8 was just the most awful experience though, it will be a long time until I'm willing to give it a go again. For me it's not so much loyalty to Mac so much as Windows lost my trust with a poor product.