Pairing an Apple Watch with a new iPhone...

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
A friend is asking me if she has to reset her new iPhone in order to pair her Apple Watch with it. I don't think so, but I'm also not entirely sure. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I didn't have to when I recently got my 12 Pro Max. I had made automatic iCloud backups on my 11 Pro Max and used that to pair the Series 5 Watch.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I did Quick Start to transfer info from my old iPhone X to my new iPhone 13 Pro and the pairing came over as part of the process. IIRC, it was something that the Quick Start prompted about along the way (e.g., it asked me if I wanted to move the pairing to the new phone.)

See also https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205189

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I did Quick Start to transfer info from my old iPhone X to my new iPhone 13 Pro and the pairing came over as part of the process. IIRC, it was something that the Quick Start prompted about along the way (e.g., it asked me if I wanted to move the pairing to the new phone.)

See also https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205189

I did that as well. My friend said she did too, but for some reason, she's convinced she has reset her iPhone, which she doesn't want to do! I sent her that link, and hopefully, she'll be up and running. If not, I'll pop over to her house this weekend and see what's up!

rsgoldens

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
I did that as well. My friend said she did too, but for some reason, she's convinced she has reset her iPhone, which she doesn't want to do! I sent her that link, and hopefully, she'll be up and running. If not, I'll pop over to her house this weekend and see what's up!

I would think at worst she would have to reset the watch and pair it to the phone and use a backup.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
you have to decouple the watch from the old phone, and wait, until this has finished.
Then I would turn BT off on the old phone (or move it to another room), and put the watch next to the new phone (BT on of course). This should initiate the coupling process.
No need to reset the new iPhone. I've done this ~100 times.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
When I was pairing my new Series 7 yesterday to my new pro I had to unpair and delete my Series 6. Prior I had backed up my 6
Then I just paired it to the phone and set up is a breeze

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I paired my new iPhone 13 Pro Max with 3 Apple watches. A series 4,series 5 and series 6 and didn't have to reset anything. Swapped out the series 5 for a series 7 and still didn't have to reset anything. .

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
No reset needed. Paired my S6 at the beginning of 2021, S7 beginning of 2022.
I didn’t find the process much different than AirPods, for example. IPhone alerts it sees the watch, you say yes, then some steps including app downloads and a few others (which are longer steps then AirPods but imho mostly as simple)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77