Old iPhone as just iPod

juls1585

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Last night I got this great idea to use my 4g 1st gen iPhone as just an iPod in my car as my cd player has decided that it no longer wants to play burned cds. I plugged it in and iTunes updated it to 3.0 and when it restarted it asked for a sim. Do you think I should go to AT&T and just ask for a new sim to get it going and then take it out and put it in airplane mode? I dont actually want to activate the phone again. I just want to use it for its music.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
my 4g 1st gen iPhone
your what?

to get a SIM from ATT requires service on the sim card. itunes is looking for a sim to activate as well.

guess what you need to activate unless you want to unlock/jailbreak it

juls1585

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Look into the jailbreak/unlock solution. It's really fairly simple to do. When you go to jailbreak the phone is will automatically activate it.

the problem with jailbreaking it is that the reason it had to be replaced originally was because it dropped and the power button became pushed into the phone. i think i am going to attempt surgery on it anyways to try and get that button popped back out. if it werent for that stupid hold the power button in situation i would have tried that lol.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
the problem with jailbreaking it is that the reason it had to be replaced originally was because it dropped and the power button became pushed into the phone. i think i am going to attempt surgery on it anyways to try and get that button popped back out. if it werent for that stupid hold the power button in situation i would have tried that lol.

Ahhh, ok - that may be an issue. ;)

juls1585

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Ahhh, ok - that may be an issue. ;)

lol yeah. the "genius" that tried to help me when it first happened was like yeah youve officially shown me something i never thought was possible. i was like well um youre welcome? fix it? they were gunna make me pay for the fix $199 or i could upgrade so i did. funny thing is it still works just cant use that button.

nickpav

May 2, 2009
Visit site
The exact same thing happened to me. I was gonna use my sisters old iPhone as an iPod for my car. Her home button didn't work so I took it apartt to try and fix. I couldn't. So it's now just a paperweight lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizayoni