Not always recognizing headphones

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
This has just recently started on my iPhone XR. 13.4.5
When I plug in headphones it does not always recognize them and still plays sound through the speakers. A recent does fix it sometimes but just temporarily. It charges through the jack without issues.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
You can try cleaning out the lightning port. Try to scrape out any lint gently with a wooden or plastic toothpick (never metal). Using canned air (again gently, with short bursts) can help as well. It could be that lint is blocking a good connection.

Since restarting the phone works this is probably not it, but worth a try.

FWIW, it could also be that the headphones are failing. You can try another set if you have some to verify.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
You can try cleaning out the lightning port. Try to scrape out any lint gently with a wooden or plastic toothpick (never metal). Using canned air (again gently, with short bursts) can help as well. It could be that lint is blocking a good connection.

Since restarting the phone works this is probably not it, but worth a try.

FWIW, it could also be that the headphones are failing. You can try another set if you have some to verify.

Thanks for the advice.
Like you said, I don’t believe it’s the port because rebooting the device often fixes it (temporarily) and it charges with no issue.
I have tried different headphones and it makes no difference.
I was wondering if it was software related but can’t find anything specific.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Could there be a short in the cord, or near the connecter? That's happened to me before...

I’ve wondered about this. It might be worth buying another adapter to see if it helps. It just seems strange that it works and then if I immediately unplug the headphones and plug them back in it doesn’t. It’s like it’s not recognizing it.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I’ve wondered about this. It might be worth buying another adapter to see if it helps. It just seems strange that it works and then if I immediately unplug the headphones and plug them back in it doesn’t. It’s like it’s not recognizing it.

Oh, I thought that you were using lightning port headphones. I didn't realize you were using the adapter. Definitely try another adapter - I still have a spare kicking around somewhere. They are not all that expensive.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4