No more USB power adapter with Apple Watch

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
To first time Apple Watch users, this isn’t fair! Now they will have to spend extra money to buy one. I use the extras for traveling. Having another would come in handy, in case I leave it or it breaks. I would hope that Apple will be giving them to those that need it without charging, but......

You can’t have an Watch without an iPhone.
Simply use the one that came with your iPhone.
If you want to charge both of them simultaneously, simply plug your Watch in your TV or any other device that has a USB port.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
If you want to charge both of them simultaneously, simply plug your Watch in your TV or any other device that has a USB port.

For that matter, most people have had previous phones -- even if not an iPhone -- most should have a USB charging brick from an old Android phone if this is their first Apple phone. As you point out stating to plug the charging cable into a TV or other device, there is nothing special about the Apple USB adaptors, pretty much any old USB charging brick or USB port should work.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
For that matter, most people have had previous phones -- even if not an iPhone -- most should have a USB charging brick from an old Android phone if this is their first Apple phone. As you point out stating to plug the charging cable into a TV or other device, there is nothing special about the Apple USB adaptors, pretty much any old USB charging brick or USB port should work.

This remembers me:

I was traveling in a intercity bus on vacation and my powerbank died. Desperate as I got, I noticed that the miniscreens on the chair had their USB ports screwed shut with a plastic cap.
Handy as I am, I used a key to unscrew it and charged my iPhone while traveling .

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

Technically you can have one without an iPhone because of the new Family Setup. So having a charging block would definitely come in handy in that case.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Technically you can have one without an iPhone because of the new Family Setup. So having a charging block would definitely come in handy in that case.

Oh my, that’s true, but it’s so fresh that I didn’t even think about that.
But then again. Look at a ordinary drawer in any household.
I myself live alone and have 5 charger bricks from Apple and numerous others from different brands in home.
I don’t think any other household is any different.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh my, that’s true, but it’s so fresh that I didn’t even think about that.
But then again. Look at a ordinary drawer in any household.
I myself live alone and have 5 charger bricks from Apple and numerous others from different brands in home.
I don’t think any other household is any different.

Agreed! I have a ton of them but I also travel a lot & don’t like to unhook my current setup. I’m just always thinking of the underdog...ie my grown kids that seem to always lose theirs, so new bricks in the box are good for them. Luckily I live alone, so I don’t have to worry about them taking mine LOL

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
And now the Edition watches no longer have chargers. So, never mind.

https://www.imore.com/apple-watch-edition-and-hermes-wearables-no-longer-ship-5w-charger

As I replied to the article you linked to, you may or may not get a charger with the Edition watches. My AW6 Edition titanium arrived yesterday WITH a 5W charger. FWIW, it was ordered shortly after the keynote so it is possible the first batch out had the chargers and after that they were not included. Also, the 5W charger I received went into a drawer with several others. :)

ReVu30

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Can’t assume that everyone has as an iPhone! Depending on where you are, and if you prefer to use OEM versus aftermarket, not having that brick could be an inconvenience!

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Can’t assume that everyone has as an iPhone! Depending on where you are, and if you prefer to use OEM versus aftermarket, not having that brick could be an inconvenience!

It wouldn’t do much good having an Apple Watch without an iPhone. You need an iPhone to pair the Apple Watch with. Here’s what mine looks like paired with my iPhone.

c47233c9c6028229ae1a73bd2f2745fc.jpg

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
The new family setup now allows you to set up a watch for other people (e.g., children, older relatives) who don't own iPhones but still allow them to use the watch. So they, presumably, would not already own an iPhone (or any other previous phone.)

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020...e-watch-experience-to-the-entire-family/#mn_p

I said it earlier but the average household has at least a few if charger bricks lying around or in a drawer.
With this knowledge it’s only natural to not include charger bricks anymore.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I said it earlier but the average household has at least a few if charger bricks lying around or in a drawer.
With this knowledge it’s only natural to not include charger bricks anymore.

I disagree. I'm from the old school where "it's better to have and not need than to need and not have". Not all households are Apple, not all households are technically caught up and not all households have working bricks laying around. So now you have people buying a charger at an extra expense for an already expensive product.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. I'm from the old school where "it's better to have and not need than to need and not have". Not all households are Apple, not all households are technically caught up and not all households have working bricks laying around. So now you have people buying a charger at an extra expense for an already expensive product.

Your point is quite valid, but an Apple Watch is useless without an iPhone to pair it with, so a household should have at least one working brick.

Might not be popular to say out loud, but almost every electronic device seems to have a USB port these days; desktops, laptops, iPads/tablets, game Consoles, televisions, Blu-ray/dvd players, streaming devices, alarm clocks, wireless chargers, battery bricks, usb hubs, wall outlets, even toasters, coffee machines and lamps.

Having said that, if they have no other electronic devices and they refuse to use the power brick that came with their iPhone, then yes they would need an additional charger. And Honestly that’s a bit of a stretch in 2020.

Sometimes when I’m traveling light I just plug my Apple Watch cable into my iPad to charge the Apple Watch or iPhone, that works quite well.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Your point is quite valid, but an Apple Watch is useless without an iPhone to pair it with, so a household should have at least one working brick.

Might not be popular to say out loud, but almost every electronic device seems to have a USB port these days; desktops, laptops, iPads/tablets, game Consoles, televisions, Blu-ray/dvd players, streaming devices, alarm clocks, wireless chargers, battery bricks, usb hubs, wall outlets, even toasters, coffee machines and lamps.

Having said that, if they have no other electronic devices and they refuse to use the power brick that came with their iPhone, then yes they would need an additional charger. And Honestly that’s a bit of a stretch in 2020.

Sometimes when I’m traveling light I just plug my Apple Watch cable into my iPad to charge the Apple Watch or iPhone, that works quite well.

Example. My elderly Aunt and Uncle are thinking about getting Apple devices soon especially the Apple Watch to monitor their health (yes I have a lot of work ahead of me if they do) and they currently have no Apple equipment or no tech but they intrigued by all the hype about Apple Watch. It will be their first Smart devices. Also don't forget their are still a lot of people around the world that are just getting started with technology.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Example. My elderly Aunt and Uncle are thinking about getting Apple devices soon especially the Apple Watch to monitor their health (yes I have a lot of work ahead of me if they do) and they currently have no Apple equipment or no tech but they intrigued by all the hype about Apple Watch. It will be their first Smart devices. Also don't forget their are still a lot of people around the world that are just getting started with technology.

I applaud your aunt and uncle with their brave decision.
There are of course exceptions to the rule and those people will have to get a spare charger if they choose to do so. But we’re all forgetting that the Watch series 6 is cheaper on launch than both the 4 and 5 series.
I’m genuinely convinced that Apple reduced the price because of the missing charger.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Example. My elderly Aunt and Uncle are thinking about getting Apple devices soon especially the Apple Watch to monitor their health (yes I have a lot of work ahead of me if they do) and they currently have no Apple equipment or no tech but they intrigued by all the hype about Apple Watch. It will be their first Smart devices.

Wow, they have absolutely no tech, that’s wild.
Have they ever been on the internet? Because that’s going to blow their minds.

An Apple Watch will be pretty useless without an iPhone to pair it with, maybe they should get one of those first and could use that power brick. Soo...

Also don't forget their are still a lot of people around the world that are just getting started with technology.

No, I honestly don’t think there are, not in 2020.

I just want to be sure you are not talking about kids, the Amish or that tribe in the Amazon that choose to shun modern technology .

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Wow, they have absolutely no tech, that’s wild.
Have they ever been on the internet? Because that’s going to blow their minds.

An Apple Watch will be pretty useless without an iPhone to pair it with, maybe they should get one of those first and could use that power brick. Soo...

No, I honestly don’t think there are, not in 2020.

I just want to be sure you are not talking about kids, the Amish or that tribe in the Amazon that choose to shun modern technology .

Thanks for the Apple Watch Dad, how do I charger it?...well you have to wait until they come in, they was all out...LOL

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77