Nervous About iPhone Purchase

EU4IC

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The title says it all. I'm looking to buy a 3G iPhone when my contract with Verizon runs out in September. This enV has long since grown boring to me and I'm ready to step up to the iPhone (for reasons that go without saying).

I AM a little nervous though because of the issues people are having with the quality of the hardware itself. Dead pixels, light leakage, dead buttons (or falling off), etc. This little (or not) enV has stood up pretty well to all types of abuse. I don't want to have to keep going back to an Apple store or At&t store to keep replacing my phone. At this point I'm just looking for a little reassurance in my impending purchase because I'm starting to get cold feet on the item.

What are my chances that I get a quality product and NOT one that bites ***? Am I just hearing the horror stories because the happy customers are posting as much?

Any help/reassurance/suggestions/stories are appreciated:eek:

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
While I will admit some people do have issues, there are a lot more people out there who you do not hear from on how much they enjoy the device. Apple Care is by far the best type of "Insurance" you can get... if you do have a issue they will help you get it solved ASAP. I have never heard of buttons falling off either... I'd love to read about that one... Go get one already and never look back. And for some reason you do not like it... just return it. I'd say go buy one, do not port your number just yet. Try it out and if you know you will be keeping it then port your number. Simple as that. Good luck!

*Also I got mine on July 11th and mine looks and functions like it did on day one. Just take care of it.

EU4IC

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Okay well I don't have 10 post or more so I can't post the link. I'm on HoFo more than here but I figured I'd ask a totally biased crowd;)

The buttons falling off thing:

http ://howardforums.com /showthread. php?t=1406151

MRidgeway

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I'm also a new to the iphone world. I am so glad that I got one finally. I can't keep the phone out of my hand. I think my wife is starting to get jealous of the little phone. Anyway, I had a lot worries and concerns as well, but I'm glad I decided to get one. The iphone does have its problems, but it is still a great and outstanding phone. So get off the fence already and get your iphone!!!

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
While I will admit some people do have issues, there are a lot more people out there who you do not hear from on how much they enjoy the device. Apple Care is by far the best type of "Insurance" you can get... if you do have a issue they will help you get it solved ASAP. I have never heard of buttons falling off either... I'd love to read about that one... Go get one already and never look back. And for some reason you do not like it... just return it. I'd say go buy one, do not port your number just yet. Try it out and if you know you will be keeping it then port your number. Simple as that. Good luck!

*Also I got mine on July 11th and mine looks and functions like it did on day one. Just take care of it.

Luckily you already have a year of AppleCare for the iPhone and you can buy more anytime within that year. Which I think I'll do sometime around Christmas time.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
there was a crackberry quote which i used to have as my email signature... which explains the "complaints" about iphones, per se.

the quote was: "ten million people can't be wrong"

which kinda holds true here, if they sold 1 million iPhones the first weekend, and i heard a number closer to 3 million total, you have to imagine there would be quite a few that would have significant problems with production. when you take percentages say 1% have issues, than 1% of 3,000,000 is 30,000 which is quite enough people to make ALOT of noise..

I'm on the same phone i've had since July 11th, and to be honest, the hardware is excellent. The software is the weak point at this point. the 2.0.1 was a good step in stability, but I still feel that a 2.1 should be a bigger jump.

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
One thing about forums, they usually bring out enthusiasts. These people (like myself) complain a lot about the product they like.
For me I was pretty neutral about my purchase, especially after the iPhone 3g demonstrated its less than good battery life, and it's buggy 2.0 firmware. But I'm getting happier with the thing everyday... It's almost becoming dare I say essential.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
One thing about forums, they usually bring out enthusiasts. These people (like myself) complain a lot about the product they like.
For me I was pretty neutral about my purchase, especially after the iPhone 3g demonstrated its less than good battery life, and it's buggy 2.0 firmware. But I'm getting happier with the thing everyday... It's almost becoming dare I say essential.

If you want to see just how good the battery life is on the iPhone??? Go use a Windows Mobile HTC device... you will love the battery on the iPhone...

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
If you want to see just how good the battery life is on the iPhone??? Go use a Windows Mobile HTC device... you will love the battery on the iPhone...

A lot of HTC windows mobile devices have a removeable battery though. Therefore, you can always have a spare battery available. One thing that is impressive about the iPhone battery is that it recharges very quickly in my experience. My solution is to get an external battery probably mophie.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
A lot of HTC windows mobile devices have a removeable battery though. Therefore, you can always have a spare battery available. One thing that is impressive about the iPhone battery is that it recharges very quickly in my experience. My solution is to get an external battery probably mophie.

True, but who wants to carry around a extra battery all day. And don't get me started on extended batteries with their low quality extended doors or worse a battery door that creeks every time you pick up the phone... ugh... :cool:

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
The nice thing... you will be getting the iPhone in September (if you choose to get it)... reason: The new software should be released at some point in September. Check out the complaints/compliments then... then make your decision.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2