• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

My phone stopped doing backups to iCloud.

inestex

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
My iPhone6 (ios 10.2.1) stoped doing its automatic backup to iCloud and does not do it, even if I force ir to do it...
I was told that I may have to delete former backups to make some space to new versions, but I can't find where to do that...

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: My phone stoped doing backups to iCloud

My iPhone6 (ios 10.2.1) stoped doing its automatic backup to iCloud and does not do it, even if I force ir to do it...
I was told that I may have to delete former backups to make some space to new versions, but I can't find where to do that...

Hi inestex!!

To find your backups go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage... that is where you're former backups are stored.

inestex

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site

Hi inestex!!

To find your backups go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage... that is where you're former backups are stored.

I don't have that option...
when I open Manage Storage I just find:
- last backup
- size of the backup
- next backup

is there another way to do it?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

I don't have that option...
when I open Manage Storage I just find:
- last backup
- size of the backup
- next backup

is there another way to do it?

If there were an old back up from a previous device, you would see it where it shows your current device. Maybe you just don't have enough space for the back up. Delete some things off your phone, like in photos> recently deleted photos album, images in your messages, etc.

inestex

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site

but I just have contacts and notes selected... it's the only thing I really need to backup.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

but I just have contacts and notes selected... it's the only thing I really need to backup.

As long as you have Contacts and Notes toggled on in your iCloud settings you're fine. It syncs them with your iCloud account.

To test this out, visit www.icloud.com using a desktop computer, log in using your Apple ID and password, and make sure your contacts and notes are there.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

What Rob said. But in the Notes app, you need your notes to sync with iCloud. If you have it set on "on my iPhone", they won't sync with iCloud.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
the problem is that the phone stoped backing up, as it used to...

what is a "hard reset", violet? are there any risks?

No. It's a basic reset similar to powering off. It cures many issues.
Hold the top or side power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman