My iPhone 6 iOS says its not backing up to iCloud but it is, why is it saying that the backup can not be completed?

I

iMore Question

Iphone 6 IOS says its not backing up to Icloud but it is

I downloaded IOS9 and when I go to back up to Icloud, it says " The last backup could not be completed"
Last back up was yesterday at 7:50pm

I just went into notes and added a Test 9/18 note and then backed up. When I went into Icloud, the test 9/18 note is there.

Why is it saying the back up could not be completed?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: Iphone 6 IOS says its not backing up to Icloud but it is

Because there's a difference between syncing a note to iCloud and device backups.

Satpal Sharma

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

iCloud backups seems to be messed up after iOS 9 upgrade. I've three iOS devices on two different apple IDs and they all are not able to perform the iCloud backups. Enough storage is available but the backup doesn't complete and it display the message 'The last backup could not be completed'

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

iCloud backups seems to be messed up after iOS 9 upgrade. I've three iOS devices on two different apple IDs and they all are not able to perform the iCloud backups. Enough storage is available but the backup doesn't complete and it display the message 'The last backup could not be completed'

It's the servers. Nothing is wrong. Try again later.

Lynn Suzanne

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site

I think it's a problem with ios 9. Both my iPhone 6 and iPad Air have been backed up almost daily to iCloud for six months. I checked yesterday, two days after upgrading to ios9, and in iCloud settings, BOTH devices showed 0 KB for the back-up size, with Last Backup Never. All apps showed 0 bytes of data backed up. So I plugged in both devices, and initiated a manual backup. Both started to backup. After two hours, the iPad said "Backup couldn't be completed". The iPhone was clearly backing up, with the blue progress line about 25% complete. So I left it alone overnight, and today, after about 10 hours, the iPhone also showed "Backup couldn't be completed".
I called Apple support today. They were able to see both device backups on September 16, which I had made sure were done before I upgraded to iOS 9, and they could also see the incomplete backups since then.
The Apple operator said it is a software issue, and that erasing my devices/restoring from backup would solve the problem. Hmm. I said, but my devices are NOT reading any backups, so how does one restore from a backup the device does not recognize? Also, why does the operator think reinstalling glitchy software would solve the problem? Operator had no answers, other than "It will solve this problem".
I said I will wait for Apple to fix the software before I erase everything on my devices. Operator assured me that Apple is working on a fix for all issues, and stopped short of admitting this is a wide-spread problem.