Just learned the hard way not to forget your secure backup password

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Woops, apparently I fat fingered or something my iTunes secure backup password for my iPhone last year around the time I was prepping for the 12.x public betas. Could not remember the password. The fix is a "reset" of the phone (not the data wipe etc.) where it wipes out wallpaper settings, notification settings, etc. It said it was going to wipe out app grid settings as well but that didn't actually happen. At least it's fixed.

Just curious I thought I'd heard of some changes to the iCloud backup where it was backing up stuff that you used to need secure local iTunes backups for. So if I don't bother doing a secure local backup anymore, what do I miss out on still?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
If you have a Macintosh, the iPhone backup password is probably stored in your keychain.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Just curious I thought I'd heard of some changes to the iCloud backup where it was backing up stuff that you used to need secure local iTunes backups for. So if I don't bother doing a secure local backup anymore, what do I miss out on still?
[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]True. I believe that the only difference these days is speed - iTunes restore will be faster. The other difference is privacy - if you do something wrong, the authorities can get a warrant for your iCloud information, and Apple will comply with a court-ordered warrant.[/FONT]

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
If you have a Macintosh, the iPhone backup password is probably stored in your keychain.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]True. I believe that the only difference these days is speed - iTunes restore will be faster. The other difference is privacy - if you do something wrong, the authorities can get a warrant for your iCloud information, and Apple will comply with a court-ordered warrant.[/FONT]

So if I buy say a new iPad and tell it to restore from iCloud when setting it up would it restore app layouts and folders etc like restoring a local backup?

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I believe that I have done just that. I can't recall, though, what happened with the dock - as you know, the dock on the iPad is different from the iPhone.

See https://www.iskysoft.com/data-recovery-tips/restore-ipad-from-iphone-backup.html

Well, I already have an iPad so it wouldn't be putting an iPhone backup on it. It would be if I was upgrading to a new iPad from an older model as an example. Or an older iPhone to a newer model would be the same example. I can definitely tell you that putting an iPhone backup onto an iPad at least on iOS11 did not copy over grid/dock settings lol. I found that out painfully when I got my first iPad and restored an iPhone backup to it to try and save time. It did save some, but I still had to create folders/etc. for app grid.

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Anyway, I suppose now that I have my backup passwords fixed, I can try it down the road. Do a backup in iTunes, make sure my iCloud backup is up to date, then try an iCloud restore and see what happens.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh