Missing the Dock?

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have been missing the dock on my Apple Watch since I installed watchOS 10. I was just reading an article about widgets on the Apple Watch, and I think that may be a solution. Have any of you explored widgets on the Apple Watch? That may be a possible alternative.

Reactions: TurboTiger

m3ach

Mar 12, 2020
Visit site
I have been missing the dock on my Apple Watch since I installed watchOS 10. I was just reading an article about widgets on the Apple Watch, and I think that may be a solution. Have any of you explored widgets on the Apple Watch? That may be a possible alternative.

I’m missing the dock too, however I do think it’s better that it’s not so easy to accidentally access the quick menu and change things without noticing.

The widget smart stack leaves something to be desired in my opinion although I’m sure I’ll get used to it eventually, just in time for it to be changed again!

I’ve pinned the workout app to the top so it’s easy to access but it was still easier to press the side button.

The other thing that’s annoying is that when you used to call up the app menu with a crown press it used to be on the app where you left it, now it just goes to the top, I found the old way useful as I had effectively two docks.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I’m missing the dock too, however I do think it’s better that it’s not so easy to accidentally access the quick menu and change things without noticing.

The widget smart stack leaves something to be desired in my opinion although I’m sure I’ll get used to it eventually, just in time for it to be changed again!

I’ve pinned the workout app to the top so it’s easy to access but it was still easier to press the side button.

The other thing that’s annoying is that when you used to call up the app menu with a crown press it used to be on the app where you left it, now it just goes to the top, I found the old way useful as I had effectively two docks.
LOL! I agree... we'll get used to it just before they change it again! I need to pin the workout app to the top of the widget stack!!!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
LOL! I agree... we'll get used to it just before they change it again! I just figured out how to pin the workout app to the top of the widget stack!!! That's a huge improvement., And, FWIW, I did submit feedback to Apple earlier this morning, imploring them to put the dock back! LOL!

m3ach

Mar 12, 2020
Visit site

Glad you found how to pin the workout app, I’m not sure why we need a clock at the top of the widget stack but hey that’s just me, perhaps you need to look at the time having just looked at the time on the watch face?

• Haha
Reactions: Annie_M

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I’m not sure why we need a clock at the top of the widget stack but hey that’s just me, perhaps you need to look at the time having just looked at the time on the watch face?

Annie, I still think eliminating the dock was a terrible decision. You only have 2 buttons (3 with the Ultra), why use one of them for something seldom used versus a menu of key apps that get used every day?!? My solution has been to move the Workout App to the Action button, add widgets for Stopwatch, Calendar, Timer, and Podcasts, and add an Audible complication (it can't be a widget). It works and I'm getting used to it, but if there were on option to revert the dock back to an app menu, I'd do it.

m3ach: You are 100% correct! I have the time and date on my watch face, why would I want it in widgets as well?!?

Reactions: Just_Me_D

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What am I seeing when I swipe up on the watch screen? Is that like widgets, or what. They can be deleted and pinned at the top.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
We have recently used. Double click the crown for recently used.
That's true and thanks for the reminder, but I wasn't using my dock for recently used. I was using it to provide a menu of the apps I wanted there and those weren't necessarily the most recently used.

I need to get used to asking Siri to open apps. For example, nearly every morning starts with Workout and Audible. Workout is my action button and I used a complication for the Audible app since it cannot be a widget. In reality, neither is necessary. All I have to do is tell Siri to open the app. Since I'm wearing APod Pros, Siri is fairly reliable.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That's true and thanks for the reminder, but I wasn't using my dock for recently used. I was using it to provide a menu of the apps I wanted there and those weren't necessarily the most recently used.

I need to get used to asking Siri to open apps. For example, nearly every morning starts with Workout and Audible. Workout is my action button and I used a complication for the Audible app since it cannot be a widget. In reality, neither is necessary. All I have to do is tell Siri to open the app. Since I'm wearing APod Pros, Siri is fairly reliable.

That waa the best I could do. For a lot of people, including me, recently used works for their faves. If you need more, I suggest you call Timmy out in Cupertino. I never suggested you could use your dock for recently used.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
For example, nearly every morning starts with Workout and Audible. Workout is my action button and I used a complication for the Audible app since it cannot be a widget. In reality, neither is necessary. All I have to do is tell Siri to open the app. Since I'm wearing APod Pros, Siri is fairly reliable.

The Smart Stack of widgets also include a three-complication strip widget. Unfortunately you cannot have two of them, but you could put the complication for Audible in one of those three slots. I've also pinned that widget to the top so that it's the first thing I see in the start stack.

(But, boy do I wish they had a replacement for the dock somehow. I also had it set with a specific group of apps. Perhaps if they allowed more than one of those three-complication widgets.)

Reactions: tcuprof

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
The Smart Stack of widgets also include a three-complication strip widget. Unfortunately you cannot have two of them, but you could put the complication for Audible in one of those three slots. I've also pinned that widget to the top so that it's the first thing I see in the start stack.

(But, boy do I wish they had a replacement for the dock somehow. I also had it set with a specific group of apps. Perhaps if they allowed more than one of those three-complication widgets.)
As is the case with other widgets, I think you can only add Apple apps to the three-complication strip widget. I tried deleting one and adding Audible and it was not one of the options.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
As is the case with other widgets, I think you can only add Apple apps to the three-complication strip widget. I tried deleting one and adding Audible and it was not one of the options.
Too bad. I don't use Audible, but Carrot, Flighty, and Home+ are three third-party apps whose complications can be added to that strip. (I also have Carrot added as a widget in the smart stack for the full-sized widgets.) I'm guessing that there is something new in watchOS 10 that allows apps to be added to this, and Audible would need to update the app, I guess.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77