Macbook Air or a Windows laptop?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I am a Windows guy through and through. That being said I am considering buying a thin lightweight laptop solely for college next semester. I tried this past semester with an iPad Air 2 but I never really liked the keyboard. I ideally want a laptop with no fans, light and thin so prices between windows and a Macbook Air is comparable.

I am thinking of getting a Macbook Air used at the Apple store but what worry me he most is I never used Mac OS since I was in third grade where my classroom had those macs which were colorful and stuff. I have a Windows laptop with Windows 10 already but it's a behemoth at 17 inches and is a gaming laptop. I ideally want something around 15 inches but my budget wouldn't fit in with a Macbook Pro. I have around $1,300 to budget for it but ideally I want to spend under $1,000. Only be using this for word processing basically and note taking.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Forgive my opinion because I'm partial to Macs... lol so there's my answer. However, if you honestly feel that you cannot break away from Windows, you could always install Parallels on your Macbook Air and run Windows 10.
With the Macbook Air there is always an option to intermix with Windows so your options are many.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
If it's just for word processing and note taking, you're better off shelling out a small amount, say $300-$400 on a basic Windows laptop that can do what you need.

In all honesty, spending over $1000 on a note taking machine is just overkill, being that you already have a gaming laptop to satisfy most other requirements.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
If it's just for word processing and note taking, you're better off shelling out a small amount, say $300-$400 on a basic Windows laptop that can do what you need.

In all honesty, spending over $1000 on a note taking machine is just overkill, being that you already have a gaming laptop to satisfy most other requirements.

I would agree but at the same time I fine spending money if the product lasts longer. Windows laptops for me typically last around four years and I've heard of Macbook lasting longer so that is particularly one reason why I'm considering a Macbook.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
If you're looking to downsize and get a solid travel machine, the 11'' Macbook Air is a solid choice. It is lightweight, has a super battery life, and will be very speedy as an office computer.

Macs do tend to age well, and hold resale value, but their lifespan is not really any longer than a well maintained Windows machine will be. A basic Windows machine is going to be able to do office work just as well in five years as it can now. My mom still uses an Arrandale laptop (first gen core CPus) and it is still a speedy and responsive machine.

Have you considered that you might not need a second laptop at all? A tablet (any platform) might be worth looking into and you could potentially get more use out of it then just to be taken out when your current machine is to large. Tablets of all types can be fitted with keyboards for note taking.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
If you're looking to downsize and get a solid travel machine, the 11'' Macbook Air is a solid choice. It is lightweight, has a super battery life, and will be very speedy as an office computer.

Macs do tend to age well, and hold resale value, but their lifespan is not really any longer than a well maintained Windows machine will be. A basic Windows machine is going to be able to do office work just as well in five years as it can now. My mom still uses an Arrandale laptop (first gen core CPus) and it is still a speedy and responsive machine.

Have you considered that you might not need a second laptop at all? A tablet (any platform) might be worth looking into and you could potentially get more use out of it then just to be taken out when your current machine is to large. Tablets of all types can be fitted with keyboards for note taking.

I think I mentioned I didn't like it before but I'll just say it here. I did try this past semester with an iPad Air 2 with a Bluetooth keyboard and I wasn't fond of using the setup. I really prefer the traditional desktop and the multitasking that comes with it.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I would agree but at the same time I fine spending money if the product lasts longer. Windows laptops for me typically last around four years and I've heard of Macbook lasting longer so that is particularly one reason why I'm considering a Macbook.

My Macook is five years old and is now dead and far too costly to repair. That being said, I have a Windows Laptop that is six years old that still runs fine. Not slow at all.

If you spend $300 on a Windows laptop and it lasts you four years, it is better than spending $1200 on a Macbook that lasts you six years, economically speaking.

From your replies though, it seems like you have already made your mind up to get a Mac of some kind and were just looking for validation on an Apple site. I would prefer to give you solid advice on what I would do in your shoes, rather than just spout Apple rhetoric. If you really want a MacBook, get an 11" MacBook Air as it's the cheapest option and will be more than capable of doing what you want. You honestly don't need more (and you don't even need that, TBH).

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
My Macook is five years old and is now dead and far too costly to repair. That being said, I have a Windows Laptop that is six years old that still runs fine. Not slow at all.

If you spend $300 on a Windows laptop and it lasts you four years, it is better than spending $1200 on a Macbook that lasts you six years, economically speaking.

From your replies though, it seems like you have already made your mind up to get a Mac of some kind and were just looking for validation on an Apple site. I would prefer to give you solid advice on what I would do in your shoes, rather than just spout Apple rhetoric. If you really want a MacBook, get an 11" MacBook Air as it's the cheapest option and will be more than capable of doing what you want. You honestly don't need more (and you don't even need that, TBH).

Actually I am leaning towards buying a Windows laptop TBH lol. The few things that are making me seriously consider a Macbook though is how thin it is, customer service ( the best), and since I do have an iPad and iPhone all being interconnected makes the decision a bit difficult lol

The friends that I have who do have a Macbook their laptops have lasted a long time which is why I thought they last longer then windows laptops.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If just note taking and word processing then a good quality Chromebook in the 11-13" range may be another affordable option.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Since you already have the iPad and iPhone already, you certainly have the 'environment' for a MacBook Air. That said, you also have your 'behemoth' which you could certainly leave at home / dorm as your desktop computer for your games and any heavy lifting chores with software, and use the Air for the day-to-day mobility stuff. The trick then is less about justifying the Mac than finding compatible software / cloud services that would work on both the Mac and your Windows beast - and is compatible with whatever is used at the college. While certainly you can bounce stuff back and forth between the iPad, iPhone and Mac via iCloud, for school work, you're probably much better off with products significantly less proprietary - like Dropbox and Google Drive - and stay well clear of Apple's Pages, etc, too. Still the de facto office suite is Word, for school or workplace - and it has mobile, cloud and local versions that will work on all your devices, including the Windows behemoth.

I have a Mac Air 11" (mid-2011) and have had no problems with it all - and it still can run the most recent Mac OS. I was finally chased from Windows full time after Win8 came out and have no (significant) regrets. I bought it the week after the next model came out, so I got a 'deal' with it, but there's often an academic discount available from Apple, usually at campus computer/bookstores - or visit the refurb store at Apple's webpage (Store > Special Deals) regularly. And get the most onboard storage you can afford, but don't need to go crazy - a much cheaper USB thumb drive and/or portable external HDD can be your friend. You'll just need to consider what really needs to be on your Air. I've got tons of stuff on my 128GB Air and still have 35GB free.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Since you already have the iPad and iPhone already, you certainly have the 'environment' for a MacBook Air. That said, you also have your 'behemoth' which you could certainly leave at home / dorm as your desktop computer for your games and any heavy lifting chores with software, and use the Air for the day-to-day mobility stuff. The trick then is less about justifying the Mac than finding compatible software / cloud services that would work on both the Mac and your Windows beast - and is compatible with whatever is used at the college. While certainly you can bounce stuff back and forth between the iPad, iPhone and Mac via iCloud, for school work, you're probably much better off with products significantly less proprietary - like Dropbox and Google Drive - and stay well clear of Apple's Pages, etc, too. Still the de facto office suite is Word, for school or workplace - and it has mobile, cloud and local versions that will work on all your devices, including the Windows behemoth.

I have a Mac Air 11" (mid-2011) and have had no problems with it all - and it still can run the most recent Mac OS. I was finally chased from Windows full time after Win8 came out and have no (significant) regrets. I bought it the week after the next model came out, so I got a 'deal' with it, but there's often an academic discount available from Apple, usually at campus computer/bookstores - or visit the refurb store at Apple's webpage (Store > Special Deals) regularly. And get the most onboard storage you can afford, but don't need to go crazy - a much cheaper USB thumb drive and/or portable external HDD can be your friend. You'll just need to consider what really needs to be on your Air. I've got tons of stuff on my 128GB Air and still have 35GB free.

Thanks. I get Microsoft Office 365 for free since my school offers it so I can easily write everything in school on the Macbook and then use my windows laptop at home to finish it or etc. As far as cloud storage goes I never really put stuff on Apple owns services other then photos and even then I primarily use one drive for my main back up service. I was planning on buying a laptop windows or Mac around February/March since I'll get my tax return around March and school for me starts again in March. The one thing that is making me think about getting a laptop now though is the sales on both devices. I would want a laptop with at least an Intel i3 cpu and a touch screen is preferred if I'm going windows for around $300. Macbook Air 13 inch is also on sale for $799 so it's compelling to buy it now, put it on a 0% APR deal and pay the minimum until I get my tax return.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'll throw another option out there- what about a surface tablet? I would think that would be good for note taking and very portable. Personally I'm a Mac gal all the way but I have heard good things about them

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I'll throw another option out there- what about a surface tablet? I would think that would be good for note taking and very portable. Personally I'm a Mac gal all the way but I have heard good things about them

Yeah I remembered it recently. I am probably going to get one unless I change my mind.

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I think if you have already got a Windows machine then you have nothing to loose by getting a Mac and in some ways you will have the best of both worlds. You already have an iPhone and iPad and they will integrate very well with a MacBook.

I'm a recent Mac convert. Although I've used iPhone since 2009 and more recently iPads I've always used Windows computers and I'd never used a Mac. When I bought my previous Windows laptop in 2011 I considered a Mac, but thought it would be too much hassle as I was used to Windows and didn't want to learn another OS. So I went with a dell laptop and it gave me no end of problems over the 4 years. The screen failed, the keyboard and trackpad stopped working. It wouldn't boot up and I'd have to do a system restore. It also took too long to boot up and wake up from sleep. In the end I barely used it. During that time I bought a Samsung series 3 chrome book. I liked that it was so light and portable, the SSD, how fast it booted up, the keyboard and track pad. It was my ideal machine the only thing that was wrong was that it ran chrome OS and not a full computing OS.

In Feb 2015 when I'd finally given up on my Dell laptop and didn't want to waste anymore money getting it repaired I decided to get a MacBook Air. I already had a lot of Apple devices so I knew it would fit in with my ecosystem. It also had everything I wanted in a laptop, it was like my Samsung series 3 chrome book but much better. I also wanted to move away from Windows as I'd had enough by that point. I've had it for 10 months now and I've not been disappointed. Although I'd not used a Mac before it was very straight forward and simple to use. Battery life is excellent, it always performs well. It needs little maintenance and receives free updates regularly. I'm also reassured to know that if I have any issues I can take it into the Apple Store and get help.

Some people moan and say that macs are over priced but they are worth every penny imo.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Agree with @shanghaichica -- you already have Windows for your comfort zone, nothing to lose by trying the Mac. I also think you'll find it "easier" than you may think to get used to how it all works. Not a whole lot of difference in how you get around.

If you get it from an Apple Store, you also have a 14-day return policy. You already mentioned the support :)

Let us know what you choose!

(one thing to note, "take it to the Apple Store" works best if you actually bought it from them vs Best Buy, etc., so if you have a question or issue later, you're more likely to get extra help having bought it direct. I've found this with phones, accessories, etc.)

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I decided on the Macbook Pro 13 inch basically because the TN panel on the Air kind of disappointed me and the pro was on sale at bestbuy. It was $1,149.99 plus I had a coupon for $50 off being a student and bestbuy apparently offers deals every month to students lol. Came out to be around $1,200 after sales tax. I absolutely love the screen and the battery life is amazing compared to the surface pro 4 which I did buy but exchanged for this. Loved the former factor or the surface but battery life was around 4 hours for me. Might return this for the Air though for the bigger hdd since the 13 inch pro is slightly out of my budget.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Urbanwoodsman1966