Looking to buy iPad Air 2, couple of questions...

ihunt

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
After a lot of deliberation, I've decided that the iPad Air 2 is the tablet for me, but I do have some concerns...

1. Is it very much future-proofed? I don't want to be looking for a new iPad next year.
2. The model I'm looking at on Amazon has iOS 8. Do I have to first download iOS 9 and then 10, or jump right up to 10?
3. Will this serve my needs for some decent gaming, lots of Netflix, some work and plenty of reading? I thought of the iPad Pro (9.7in) but the extra processing seems rather redundant for Clash of Clans and Real Racing 3, but would it help for Vainglory and other demanding games?

The extra $200 for the Pro was what settled it for me, I'm a student and can't fork out that much cash.

Thanks!

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
1. I can't say anything is future proof as this model debuted in 2014. But I'm sure it will be able to run iOS 11 when it comes out.
2. You would go straight to the current signed firmware 10.2.1
3.Yes.you can do all of the above. I read and watch movies, web surf, play games etc. on mine.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I would do a clean install of the latest OS on the device instead of updating from whatever is on the device. This is streets ahead for improving stability and speed, ensuring everything on the OS is fresh and the latest.

ihunt

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I would do a clean install of the latest OS on the device instead of updating from whatever is on the device. This is streets ahead for improving stability and speed, ensuring everything on the OS is fresh and the latest.
How do I do that? This is my first Apple device, sorry.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

How do I do that? This is my first Apple device, sorry.

It is very easy. Make sure you are running the latest version of iTunes on your computer. Open iTunes. Plug in your iPad. From the Summary page in iTunes for your iPad, click on Restore iPad. Follow the prompts.

Just a reminder, the latest OS for your iPad is iOS 9.3.5.

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It is very easy. Make sure you are running the latest version of iTunes on your computer. Open iTunes. Plug in your iPad. From the Summary page in iTunes for your iPad, click on Restore iPad. Follow the prompts.

Just a reminder, the latest OS for your iPad is iOS 9.3.5.

If the device in question is an iPad Air 2 the latest firmware is 10.2.1 My own Air 2 is running the 10.3 beta. As I stated before there is some life left in this device and will probably get be able the next version of iOS .

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
We bought an iPad Air 2 for me as a Christmas Present last November. I had many of your concerns... I loved the Pro, but couldn't justify the price difference. I was at the Apple Store earlier last fall and had a long talk with one of the staff. She asked me all sorts of questions, and together we concluded that the Air 2 would be fine for me. I use it for some gaming, lots of streaming on Netflix and Hulu, Facebook, email, and some Google Docs. I'm very happy and have no regrets!!!

I was able to update mine to the current iOS without any issue. Good luck and have fun!

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
If the device in question is an iPad Air 2 the latest firmware is 10.2.1 My own Air 2 is running the 10.3 beta. As I stated before there is some life left in this device and will probably get be able the next version of iOS .

Thank you. You are correct. The iPad Air 2 is 10.2.1. So sorry.

ihunt

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who replied, especially to scruffypig for letting me know how to update my OS. You guys have been a big help, ordering my tablet now.

Also I figure the reason why that iPad totes iOS 8 is because its the 64 GB version which I heard just got discontinued.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who replied, especially to scruffypig for letting me know how to update my OS. You guys have been a big help, ordering my tablet now.

Also I figure the reason why that iPad totes iOS 8 is because its the 64 GB version which I heard just got discontinued.

Did you get your iPad? How's it working for you?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
takectrl