Listen to FM radio while seeing the Apple map and hearing the guidance.

kevgar

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Hello all, I am new to CarPlay, but not to computers. I have seen conflicting statements about whether it is possible to listen to FM and still see and hear the map guidance. I have an XR with the latest IOS 14.7.1, and I bought a Android based car stereo with Android 9.1 and installed it. I use to travel for work and when I used CarPlay in the rentals I never had this problem. So what am I missing.
Any specifics would be helpful, such as is it is a build from the factory, like Ford or BMW, If my Iphone is a known issue, the aftermarket Android radiod definitely don't have this feature. (I know these can vary but some internet reports say yes, some say no)
If there is a link feel free to post it, I will read the information and follow up with any key findings.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Good question and a part of me want to say yes. I know you can listen to your Music playlists and radio stations while also being able to listen to the turn by turn navigation of Apple Maps.

I will test it out the next time I get in my car and then I’ll get back to you.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
We use CarPlay in both our Subaru Outbacks and can listen to FM radio at the same time as using Apple Maps navigation. Siri’s voice will temporarily drown out the radio when giving instructions.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Like @Annie_M, I can listen to regular radio (AM, FM, HD Radio or SiriusXM) in my Volkswagen Jetta while Apple Maps is running over CarPlay. I didn't need to configure anything special for that to work.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Android based car stereo with Android 9.1 and installed it. I use to travel for work and when I used CarPlay in the rentals I never had this problem. So what am I missing.
the aftermarket Android radiod definitely don't have this feature. (I know these can vary but some internet reports say yes, some say no)

Without knowing what model of aftermarket Android based stereo you installed, I think the whole problem is that it doesn't even run the actual Car Play app, but merely gives you a "Mirrorlink" to mirror whatever app is running on your phone. There is a lot of inexpensive products out there that claim to do it all, but in reality are really bad and do not provide the true CarPlay/Android Auto experience. Here's a link to such a device https://www.amazon.com/Hikity-Andro...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUimUvbUpU3261011

kevgar

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I would truly appreciate all the feedback. As I am trying to narrow down specifics, please let me know if the CarPlay is aftermarket or did it come with the car. As previously stated I just started with a base unit, An Android based stereo which claims to run CarPlay, as well as the mirror app, which is different. It may be a limitation on these Android based systems, but looking for definitive evidence to nail it down.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I would truly appreciate all the feedback. As I am trying to narrow down specifics, please let me know if the CarPlay is aftermarket or did it come with the car. As previously stated I just started with a base unit, An Android based stereo which claims to run CarPlay, as well as the mirror app, which is different. It may be a limitation on these Android based systems, but looking for definitive evidence to nail it down.

Mine is the one that comes with VW cars.

Crazy question: does your Android-based system able to play radio on its own, or you set it through the car’s original stereo system?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: I can confirm that I am able to use the navigation feature within CarPlay while listening to local radio stations.

My car is a 2019 BMW 430i and it has wireless CarPlay. My current iOS version is iOS 15 Developer Beta 4.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
From what I know, the ability to listen to FM radio while seeing and hearing map guidance can vary depending on the car stereo and the specific iOS version. It might not always work seamlessly with aftermarket Android-based car stereos.

Hello and welcome to iMore. It's nice to have you here. When you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here! Also, when you get a chance, please take a minute to review iMore's Community Rules and Guidelines: https://forums.imore.com/site-feedback-help/385947-community-rules-guidelines.html#post2913734

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77