Just trying to settle an argument. How often should i let the battery run down to 0?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just trying to settle an argument. How often should i let the battery run do...

Charge your Apple lithium-ion battery whenever you want. There?s no need to let it discharge 100% before recharging. Apple lithium-ion batteries work in charge cycles. You complete one charge cycle when you?ve used (discharged) an amount that equals 100% of your battery?s capacity ? but not necessarily all from one charge. For instance, you might use 75% of your battery?s capacity one day, then recharge it fully overnight. If you use 25% the next day, you will have discharged a total of 100%, and the two days will add up to one charge cycle. It could take several days to complete a cycle. The capacity of any type of battery will diminish after a certain amount of recharging. With lithium-ion batteries, the capacity diminishes slightly with each complete charge cycle. Apple lithium-ion batteries are designed to hold at least 80% of their original capacity for a high number of charge cycles, which varies depending on the product.

Source: https://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/#mn_p

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204054

Last edited:

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. My daughter had a Mac from 2007, and she always left it charging. The battery exploded inside the machine, and the repairman told her to let it run down to 0, and then charge it every day. :p

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Never take a lithium based battery down to zero unless your life depends on using those last few electrons. Under no circumstances try to trick the battery into charging above nominal 100% unless you like making work for firefighters and paramedics. Ideally keep it above about 30% if possible. Here's a clue... most new rechargeable lithium batteries are charged to 40-50% for best shelf life in storage before delivery to the user.

Branta

Retired Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people say different things about the lithium ion batteries. It makes for a lot of confusion.

Whatever they say different there are two things guaranteed to kill a lithium battery:
1: Deep discharge to silly low voltage. Most phones have protection circuits to shut down before the battery is irreversibly damaged.
2. Overcharging. This can cause thermal runaway and a spectacular fire or exploding phone.

It seems to be a widely held opinion and it certainly aligns with my experience that deep discharge (to shutdown level) usually has a disproportionate hit on battery life. You won't see it fron one or two flat battery events, but if it is a regular occurrence the battery capacity will degrade faster than by keeping it topped up when possible. I frequently charge in the car so my batteries are usually well charged, and I have several batteries 3-4 years old still going well.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a weight scale to check ones weight. I purchased this scale in the 1980s. Battery has never been changed, no way to charge tge battery. This is a lithium battery. Called litheum electronic scale.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea. Does not have that on the scale anywhere. Just press on the scale to get all zeros. Then stand on scale and get ones weight.