• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

iTune sync error?

tsky74

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
So, when I try to sync my iPhone 4, I get the below message:

"iTunes could not back up the iPhone "phone name" because an unknown error occurred (-20)".

Anyone else get this error or know what it is? :confused:

Thanks!

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
I can't say I've ever seen that particular error :(

Check to see what's set to be synced and try to eliminate the culprit.

Start with eliminating the syncing of music and videos, then photos, then contacts and calendars.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
So, when I try to sync my iPhone 4, I get the below message:

"iTunes could not back up the iPhone "phone name" because an unknown error occurred (-20)".

Anyone else get this error or know what it is? :confused:

Thanks!

Only time I ever saw this error was while using the beta versions of iOS4 before iTunes would recognize folders... maybe try reinstalling iTunes... sounds like a software glitch.. or possibly a faulty USB dock connector

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Cleveland's suggestion makes me think to ask, are you sure you are running the latest version of iTunes ( 9.2 )?

tsky74

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I have two iPhone 4 and my wifes syncs fine. I'm wondering if it's because I activated my 4 with my 3g and not as a new iphone. However, I did the same with my wifes and hers is fine. I'll play around once I get home to see if uninstalling some things will solve this.

Thanks. I'll post if I figure it out.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I have two iPhone 4 and my wifes syncs fine. I'm wondering if it's because I activated my 4 with my 3g and not as a new iphone. However, I did the same with my wifes and hers is fine. I'll play around once I get home to see if uninstalling some things will solve this.

Thanks. I'll post if I figure it out.

I did the same from my 3GS and have had no issues whatsoever... hmmm strange...

tsky74

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Well this morning, I went ahead and tried to remove and reinstall all the apps/music/contacts/etc., however this didn't solve the error. So, I tried to do a clean restore and use my back up file to reinstall all again. When it uninstalled all and went to restore the phone, it got stuck and stayed there for about 30 min without doing anything. Tired of waiting, I unplugged the phone and rebooted the phone and computer and did a complete install as a new phone (would not let me use my back up file). So I lost everything and starting fresh. I was then able to get my phone to back up without the error. I'll try again tonight to do a backup and hope it's gone for good.

tsky74

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Well, this AM, tried to sync my phone with itunes and still get the same error message. I can sync, however, there is no back up. Oh well. Maybe time to pay a visit to an Apple Store.

connor sweeney

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Same here

UK 3GS iTunes 9.2 iOS 4.0.

Phone will not back up. Tried on two different pcs using Windows XP.

Tried everything, reinstalling itunes, restore original factory settings on phone - setting up iTunes on a clean pc.

Wish I'd stayed with the previous software version.

And to cap it all iOS 4.0 STILL doesn't have all the features we've been screaming out for.

Extremely frustrated.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman