• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

It's time for Apple to ease up more on limitations for third parties

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
“At the end of the day, Apple can choose to do what it wants, but I honestly think that competition benefits everyone. Third-party developers should have a more fair playing ground for their apps and services, customers should have a choice, and Apple can learn a thing or two from competitors to improve their own services. And for the love of god, let us choose default apps at some point.”

Not allowing Spotify to use certain proprietary features isn’t stifling competition, in my opinion. Isn’t the Spotify streaming service already in competition with Music?

We as customers already have choices and take advantage of them, but we consumers have a tendency of asking for too much. Third party developers should be allowed to have their apps listed in the Apple App Store, but not every developer is honest so I’m all for Apple being a bit strict with them.

Apple can indeed learn a thing or two from competitors, but then again, that could be the reason why they are how they are. Anyway, that’s my 2 ¢...(Laughing)

Last edited:

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
“At the end of the day, Apple can choose to do what it wants, but I honestly think that competition benefits everyone. Third-party developers should have a more fair playing ground for their apps and services, customers should have a choice, and Apple can learn a thing or two from competitors to improve their own services. And for the love of god, let us choose default apps at some point.”

Not allowing Spotify to use certain proprietary features isn’t stifling competition, in my opinion. Isn’t the Spotify streaming service already in competition with Music?

We as customer already have choices and take advantage of them, but we consumers have a tendency of asking for too much. Third party developers should be allowed to have their apps listed in the Apple App Store, but not every developer is honest so I’m all for Apple being a bit strict with them.

Apple can indeed learn a thing or two from competitors, but then again, that could be the reason they are how they are. Anyway, that’s my 2 ¢...(Laughing)

Nuff said (in my D voice) LOL

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

We as customers already have choices and take advantage of them, but we consumers have a tendency of asking for too much. Third party developers should be allowed to have their apps listed in the Apple App Store, but not every developer is honest so I’m all for Apple being a bit strict with them.

Apple can indeed learn a thing or two from competitors, but then again, that could be the reason why they are how they are. Anyway, that’s my 2 ¢...(Laughing)

I agree and if rumors pertaining to iOS 14 are right we might be getting a little more control of our devices but I won’t hold my breathe

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman