• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Is there an artist who has found a SENSITIVE screen protector for iPad Po 3rd Gen?

Dec 4, 2018
Visit site
I'm a digital artist desperate for a screen PROTECTOR that won't diminish the iPad Pro third gen's sensitivity to Apple pencil. Unlike the previous iPad Pros, this generation has a hardware issue. Whether it's the screen itself or the Apple Pencil, I don't know. But even without a protector, the 3rd gen is absolutely less responsive, even to touch. Unfortunately, it's not just me. Anecdotally, I've seen a great many digital artists across the web who are reporting the same issue. But slap a screen protector on, and half the time it takes 2- 4 taps to select a page element, or register a mark in Procreate. My ipad is my main driver; I work on it 5-10 hours a day. Those laps freaking add up! Apple says it's not a problem, despite posts to the contrary on its own support forum. Arrgggh!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Re: Is there a . artist who has found a SENSITIVE screen protector for iPad Po 3rd Gen?

I think this may actually be a software issue. I have a similar problem with my 2nd Gen pro. :(

Dec 4, 2018
Visit site
Re: Is there a . artist who has found a SENSITIVE screen protector for iPad Po 3rd Gen?

I think this may actually be a software issue. I have a similar problem with my 2nd Gen pro. :(

Oh wonderful. That would be better, though, then faulty hardware, especially if the issue is going un-acknowledged. If it is software, maybe this is something to be addressed in iOS 13, widely expected to be iPad-centric.

Regarding your plight with the 1st gen pencil, however, there are two fixes that worked great for me:

1. Tighten the tip. Very occasionally, heavy use can turn the tip a couple of revolutions and it looses optimum contact with the body.
2. Install a fresh tip. Again very occasionally, heavy use on a less than grit free screen can cause micro damage to the tip, so that it no longer makes optimum contact with the screen.

Most unfortunately, these aren't enduring solutions for persistent issues with the Apple Pencil 2. I did install a fresh tip to see what would happen. It helped, somewhat. That's not nearly good enough for hardware this decked-out and expensive. Really, it's a shame. There's no way I'm not going to protect this pricey screen—and pricey to fix if scratched or shattered. On the other hand, using a screen protector on this machine is costly, too, in frustration and thwarted workflow.

Quite honestly, I miss my iPad Pro 2nd gen. Except for the minor, easily remedied issues above, I never had a single problem with the pencil. Or touch. But I got greedy for more storage.

Did you have your hardware checked? I’m very curious about your experience.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman