• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Is the iPad Mini failing?

clouds0222

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I have an iPad Mini 3, but the 16Gb version, so I'm running out of space. I may get the Mini 4....but does anyone know if the form factor of the Mini 4 is thinner than the previous Mini models? I have an iPad Air 2 and it's noticeably thinner than my Mini 3....I am just wondering since I didn't catch much about the Mini line up yesterday.....

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I have an iPad Mini 3, but the 16Gb version, so I'm running out of space. I may get the Mini 4....but does anyone know if the form factor of the Mini 4 is thinner than the previous Mini models? I have an iPad Air 2 and it's noticeably thinner than my Mini 3....I am just wondering since I didn't catch much about the Mini line up yesterday.....

It's going to be thinner

Will your iPad mini cases fit the new iPad mini 4? | iMore

LewLew23

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Great, thanks for the info! I'm not looking to spend for a new device, but I was mainly questioning if upgrading to the Mini 2 or 3 would be worth it. I don't use it nearly as much as a phone, so I cannot really justify a new one. But any performance increase would be welcome.

Oh yeah, it's definitely a performance difference. I had the original and upgraded to the Mini 2 mainly because of the display, but there's a real difference. Though like others, the refreshing that the Mini 2 and 3 goes through because of the 1GB of RAM is frustrating at times. If the Mini 4 has 2GB of RAM, I'll sell you my 2 :p

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I know that Apple doesn't always give RAM specs at announcement, but yet if it was an increase, might they not have mentioned it?

If you get the 4, at least check in with me about your 2!

I've got a 3 I'm selling! LOL

Sent from my iPad Mini 3 using Tapatalk. 🖖

Team George

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I think last year's iPad Air 2 was well ahead of its time, so updating the mini with its specs is not a case of throwing in old stuff to a new piece of hardware, but throwing in "relevant" stuff to what it needs to do now.

ifox1987

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't think its necessarily failing, people just don't upgrade iPads often. The mini 4 is mostly caught up to the Air 2 now aside from it having an A8 and not A8X, and the Air didn't even get updated this year and likely won't until sometime next year. I just ordered a mini 4 myself as I much prefer the smaller size, even though I'm also getting a 6S Plus.

Team George

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I really more love for the mini - it is so versatile and useful. The only iPad I can take absolutely everywhere and even without a bag. Pencil support would be amazing!

mark-d

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a mini 3. Love it. Perfect for work use as well as personal. A full size iPad would just be too big for my needs

anon(9132077)

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
My toddler is spoiled. He loves his iPad learning games and we signed him up for ABC Mouse, so I got him an iPad mini 2 for Christmas. I'm that parent haha

Team George

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Yes I find the mini is great for kids. I sometimes take it with us when we are getting their haircut as it is quite dull sitting around and waiting

ebrandwein

Oct 3, 2000
Visit site
I've actually just returned to the iOS from a long stretch in the Android world. My phone is still an Honor 8 but I just picked up an iPad Mini 4 and I really like it. Paired with a Belkin keyboard case and using the VM ware app, I can remote in to my desktop at work from pretty much anywhere. Its pretty cool to see Windows running on an iPad but it works really well. The bottom line, for me at least, is that this is powerful little computer that still has a lot of potential going for it.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
To answer the OP, my suspicion is there will not be an iPad Mini 5 -- though that is my guess and I'd love to be wrong. I think the issue is that with a 5.5" iPhone, and the new iPhone 8 rumored to have a 5.8" screen, my impression is that Apple feels that there isn't enough size difference. I think this is made worse with the decline in tablet sales.

Of course, what actually ends up happening likely depends on how well the various tablets sale; and the Mini is somewhat hurt with the iPad (2017) having a lower starting price (though only 32GB Storage).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanefreedman