• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

iPhone sales tax

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok quick question, at checking out through the AT&T website, it said estimated sales tax for iPhone 6 16gig would be 99.00. When I do the Math sales tax in California is 8.25, which should make the tax only 55.00? I don't get it. The phone itself is 676.00...right?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok quick question, at checking out through the AT&T website, it said estimated sales tax for iPhone 6 16gig would be 99.00. When I do the Math sales tax in California is 8.25, which should make the tax only 55.00? I don't get it. The phone itself is 676.00...right?

I can’t speak to the specifics of California (don't live there), but the sales tax thing is wonky. Some states require tax on the full sale price, others on the actual price paid, etc. And some states have different rates for different things.

The base price of the iPhone 6 should be $649, $749 and $849 (depending on storage configuration). The 6 Plus is $100 more at each step.

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Well it showed it as sales tax and zero fees, I get all fees waived with my employee discount through my work. I'm hoping that was just a high estimate and not really the tax.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Well it showed it as sales tax and zero fees, I get all fees waived with my employee discount through my work. I'm hoping that was just a high estimate and not really the tax.

I get mine waived, as well. However, the email showed the charge. I will have a customer service rep waive it (have had to do this before). But the upgrade fee is not charged by Apple - it was just reporting what the fee will be. It will appear on your wireless bill, if it is going to appear anywhere.

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I wish I would have took a picture of the page, I used the att next upgrade so there shouldn't be ANY fees right?well going down the list it said: upgrade fee 0, estimated sales tax 99.00(due today) then it showed my monthly bill.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I wish I would have took a picture of the page, I used the att next upgrade so there shouldn't be ANY fees right?well going down the list it said: upgrade fee 0, estimated sales tax 99.00(due today) then it showed my monthly bill.

I don’t think there are any upgrade fees for Next. But I know that you have to pay sales tax on the FULL PURCHASE PRICE for the Next plan, regardless of what your state does for 2-year contract upgrade pricing. But $99 sounds like a lot for tax.

What is your sales tax rate? $99 on a $649 purchase is like 15.25%. OUCH!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Full retail would be 649. Sales tax in ca is 8.25. Still should only be around 55..

I wouldn't get too worked up about it yet. The "out" is "estimated" tax. Wait and see what the actual charges are, and then question/dispute it then. Lots of strangeness out there tonight. :)

sau124

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
agreed - lot of bugs will show up on the websites as they are not used to this influx of orders. Wait for the official invoice and then confirm the charges. One more reason to order via Apple.

Dementius

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not alone in this. It shows $108 tax for mine. It appears that the estimated tax is adding the monthly payment and the actual device connection fee together and then multiplying that by the number of months (42.50/month + 25/line=67.50 x 20 months =$1350 for the 128gb 6) so taxing me on a $1350 full retail price according to the email. Hoping that changes before the device ships or I'll be looking forward to a lengthy phone call.

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I spoke to a representative. They put me on hold and "looked into it" and said that it should go down yet can't explain either. This is what I found in the fine print:

***For preorders, charges will be processed on date of shipping and will include actual, applicable taxes, fees, and surcharges, which may vary from the quoted estimate.

So I'm depending on it to go down for sure..

Anthonyiamador

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

Update, order processed and tax came out to be only 49 dollars! Score!

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry about the tax until they actually charge you. I bought 2 of the same iphones and 1 showed the estimated tax as $54 and the other as $0. Well I got charged $54 twice.

mstclair82

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
just signed up at verizon and had the same issue -- took some wrangling with a supervisor (just showed up as taxes and fees to the rep). California tax on full retail value of the phone $749 fo 64gb iphone6 + $35 verizon activation fee. - added up to about $100

later:
doing more research -- looks like a $30 "upgrade fee" from verizon

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miracleshealth