iOS 17: Features, supported devices, release date news, and more

Blazingheart

Sep 21, 2023
Visit site
WARNING: Changes I made to my Contact Card / Poster synced to my iMac login screen. I was none to happy to discover that there does not appear to be a way to revert it without changing my contact card (which will likely sync back to my phone). The assumption that I want to represent myself the same way on all of my devices is ludicrous. And having my contact card being used to replace my chosen icon within User & Groups on my iMac - without my consent is beyond frustrating.

I'm hoping that others will be willing to amplify my complaint to Apple (included below). Changes we make on our Phones should not change things on our computers without asking; there is no reason to force us to use our contact card for our Computer login icon.

I sent the following feedback to Apple:
I just downloaded iOS 17 on my PHONE and set it up, and now changes I made on my PHONE are altering things on my iMAC. I did not ask for, or agree to that. And it looks like there is no way to revert the changes without them syncing back to my phone. This is not acceptable. I don't want you making alterations on my MAC when I change things on my PHONE.

macOS Ventura 13.5.2 (update the list)
[END]

Reactions: scruffypig

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
WARNING: Changes I made to my Contact Card / Poster synced to my iMac login screen. I was none to happy to discover that there does not appear to be a way to revert it without changing my contact card (which will likely sync back to my phone). The assumption that I want to represent myself the same way on all of my devices is ludicrous. And having my contact card being used to replace my chosen icon within User & Groups on my iMac - without my consent is beyond frustrating.

I'm hoping that others will be willing to amplify my complaint to Apple (included below). Changes we make on our Phones should not change things on our computers without asking; there is no reason to force us to use our contact card for our Computer login icon.

I sent the following feedback to Apple:
I just downloaded iOS 17 on my PHONE and set it up, and now changes I made on my PHONE are altering things on my iMAC. I did not ask for, or agree to that. And it looks like there is no way to revert the changes without them syncing back to my phone. This is not acceptable. I don't want you making alterations on my MAC when I change things on my PHONE.

macOS Ventura 13.5.2 (update the list)
[END]

I agree with your post. I had a nickname between me and Siri. With iOS 17 Apple decided to take our secret nickname public and publish it with my contact info everywhere, without my consent. Oh Well. Good bye to all the fun personalization of my personal devices, that was meant to be, well, personal.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree with your post. I had a nickname between me and Siri. With iOS 17 Apple decided to take our secret nickname public and publish it with my contact info everywhere, without my consent. Oh Well. Good bye to all the fun personalization of my personal devices, that was meant to be, well, personal.

Care to share your nickname now that it’s public?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
One of the cute features of Siri was you could say “Siri. Call me, “Billy Joe-Bob” and Siri would do that. I don’t think it was even published or shared anywhere. If it was, it was lower down in the contact information. With iOS 17 and the feature to share your contact info by bringing two iPhones together, it puts my nickname first in large font with no way to customize. I was mortified and thought how unprofessional and where is my “Name”? I don’t want to share that like that. I feel like it is very “Google-esque”.

My nickname was, “Billy Joe-Bob”, LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: Annie_M

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
That is a good idea. I will do that later. I removed my nickname for now. It was just for giggles between me and Siri. LOL.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
One of the cute features of Siri was you could say “Siri. Call me, “Billy Joe-Bob” and Siri would do that. I don’t think it was even published or shared anywhere. If it was, it was lower down in the contact information. With iOS 17 and the feature to share your contact info by bringing two iPhones together, it puts my nickname first in large font with no way to customize. I was mortified and thought how unprofessional and where is my “Name”? I don’t want to share that like that. I feel like it is very “Google-esque”.

My nickname was, “Billy Joe-Bob”, LOL.

That’s not so bad, unless I’m missing something.

I believe there is an option when I tried NameDrop for the first time to review and exclude any field you might not want to share.

Reactions: scruffypig

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
That’s not so bad, unless I’m missing something.

I believe there is an option when I tried NameDrop for the first time to review and exclude any field you might not want to share.

I hope so. I have been hesitant to try it. Thanks for the info. I am rather picky with what I share and with who I share it.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I hope so. I have been hesitant to try it. Thanks for the info. I am rather picky with what I share and with who I share it.

Perhaps if you have a second iPhone or someone in your family has one, you could have a couple of trial runs.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77