Introverts rejoice! At the EU's insistence, you'll soon be able to delete the Messages app from your iPhone in iOS 18

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
What will the EU do next if it turns out that despite the changes, iPhone user continues using the Messages app, Safari and others?

There have been available 3rd-party apps available to user in almost every category. People like me will try some of them and then end up realizing that the native version was more than enough.

Will our choices be a knock against Apple and cause the EU and others to call it anti-competitive?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t WhatsApp considered the most used or one of the most used messaging apps outside the U.S.?

What about people who want to have both Messages and WhatsApp? Are you going to force them to only choose WhatsApp?

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
What about people who want to have both Messages and WhatsApp? Are you going to force them to only choose WhatsApp?
The answer is simple. This allows a user to have one of the two, and have e.g. Signal handle your phone calls. It does not require removing an app in favour of another.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The answer is simple. This allows a user to have one of the two, and have e.g. Signal handle your phone calls. It does not require removing an app in favour of another.

Apple builds a smart device that’s both a phone and an audio player and named it ‘iPhone’.
The iPhone became the most sought after smart device and it is still the most sought after, in my opinion.

The device is so successful that app developers were willing to deal with the large cut Apple demanded.

I’ve said this many times over the years and I will say it again. As soon as Apple became a Trillion dollar company, I said the vultures would be circling to get a piece of them.

In regard to its Messages app, you can’t say having the blue color is akin to Microsoft making Internet Explore the default browser which caused the use of other browsers to allegedly be severely diminished.

Owning a PC during that time was still somewhat new and people were hesitant and a little intimidated by them.

Today, a smartphone is like a glass of water. It’s everywhere, and parents will hand their 18 month old child their iPhone and allow them to touch and swipe the screen. It some circles, it’s not uncommon to see someone in elementary school with an iPhone.

Reports of ‘bullying’ because someone’s device couldn’t send or receive iMessages. Remember that? I didn’t buy it then and I’m not buying it now because kids will try every app in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store to find the communications app where they can communicate freely with their friends, and possibly away from the prying eyes of their parents.

So what is the EU’s end game? What is being gained by them and is the gain long term?