Interesting article about the differences in Google's and Apple's ecosystem

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think the article is very interesting!!! While I definitely understand how Google’s ecosystem is beneficial to most people, I honestly don’t use many Google items. I have a gmail (my junk account since it’s so old) and Google as my search engine, that’s about it. Everything else is native Apple because that’s what works for me.

Add in YouTube, and then our use of Google’s services would be identical.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
That's a pretty good article, although a little too enthusiastic for me.

I was "all in" with Google back when I was using Android. Music, photos and drive. Part of my move to iOS was to see the procedure, for me, from Google to Apple. I got all my files from Drive to iCloud, pictured from Google to iCloud, and from Music to iTunes. I still have and use my Gmail address (because I've had it since before Android existed) but currently have it forwarded to my iCloud account.

While I don't currently have either Google Home or Apple HomePod, Siri on my iPhone and iPad work just fine for me and both my wife and I have Echo and Echo Dot, again both work just fine for what we use them for. Our house is old and no automation is set up. Not really sure I'd use it even if I had it.

So do I think one ecosystem is better than the other? No. Both both have different features and fit different people and lifestyles.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
To be fair, I do use the Siri remote with my Apple TV because the keyboard experience is atrocious. So I use Siri to type passwords or search within an app for shows and jumping through videos, like if I missed something. That makes sense to me, more than using my phone as an actually useable keyboard.

The most I ever use Siri is with my Apple TV remote as well. Mostly with skipping or rewinding during a movie/show, dictation in a search field and the "what did he/she say" request. To my surprise it has worked pretty well for me considering I've had bad experiences with Siri on my iOS devices since its introduction in 2011 with the 4S.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
say Apple version of Amazon's Echo

Absolutely. We have 4 Echo Dots in the house, and nine times out of ten Alexa either doesn't listen or she talks to herself in empty rooms. We use the Dots mostly for our Hue lights, which she takes for-ev-ar to turn off/on. I've gotten to where I use Siri to work the lights for me as she is lightening fast with them.

Alexa and her little hockypuck self would get replaced in mere seconds if Apple came out with a similar small Siri enabled device.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
https://char.gd/blog/2018/google-is-eating-apples-ecosystem-for-lunch

It really made me think hard about when the two started rifting apart. Google had been a huge part of Apple's iOS offerings in the years since the first iPhone release and became soured later on. Makes me wonder if Apple could benefit more from working with Google instead of relying on its own strength to build an ecosystem themselves .

Just want to hear some of your thoughts.

I didn't believe there was a debate to be had on which of the two is stronger as far as their ecosystems are concerned. Google is by and far ahead of Apple. Though that's no fault of Apple. Their business approaches are vastly different. You'll find Apple users pride themselves on their privacy. They want their data to stay THEIR data. Google users accept the trade offs. Better products in exchange for their data being monetized by Google. Apple services work "good enough" for their customers. There is a large portion of Apple users who literally have no idea what Android and Google offer because their Apple products work just fine for them.

The article glazes over Googles use of our personal data but that's really the key here.

Could Apple benefit from working with Google? Depends on what their goal is. Apple doesn't seem interested in using the data from Apple users to improve it's services. Which is acceptable.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SarahWilkerson