Improvements coming in watchOS 11 that I'm happy to see

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I am not a developer and won't install any of the betas myself, but some of the things that I heard about being included in watchOS 11 that I'm happy about:

- training load and vitals. These are really two different things, but similar in concept - the Health app will track how you respond to your training and compare how you are doing recite with how you were doing in the last month, while vitals will do the same with skin temperature, breathing rate, heart rate, and blood oxygen readings during sleep tracking. I'm thinking that I will gain some useful information from this.

- Offline running and hiking routes, with turn-by-turn directions (though I understand the Workout app won't do this - that you will need to run maps concurrently for that) I don't need this often, but it will come in handy when I need it, such as when I am traveling somewhere that I don't go often.

- Live activities on the Smart Stack. Again, I don't use them often, but I do occasionally, and having them handy on my watch will really help. In addition, I guess the Smart Stack will start getting closer to the original idea of the Siri watch face introduced with (I think) Series 3, and start populating the stack intelligently with widgets that have important info right now - weather warnings and alerts, etc.

- As I understand it, at long last we can customize alert sounds on the watch. While I almost always have mine on silent mode, I do still have sound on sometimes, and I also have a distinctive text tone that lets me know that it's a message sent, and that it's to me, not to my wife (or anyone else that I am with.)

- Pausing streaks, plus customized move ring by day. I am not someone who needs a streak for motivation to workout, but I'm glad that this is now here for the benefit of people who really do try to improve themselves, get out and workout 30+ minutes/day 4 or 5 days a week, and the streak is something that keeps it going for them.

Last edited:

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm also very happy with WatchOS 18 and I will definitely take advantage of all of these changes. My favorite change is the ability to finally program a rest day. This is LONG overdue and I would have considered WatchOS 18 a success with this feature alone.

Reactions: nikkisharif

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm also very happy with WatchOS 18 and I will definitely take advantage of all of these changes. My favorite change is the ability to finally program a rest day. This is LONG overdue and I would have considered WatchOS 18 a success with this feature alone.
watchOS 18 will be available in 7 years 😅

Apple just announced watchOS 11 :)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Oy. I edited my post. I know better - but I sure wish Apple would standardize all of the OSes to the same number. Even visionOS. Just make them all 18, or 20 (to count all of the Mach kernel derived versions of macOS, keeping Cheetah 0.)
It would definitely make things less confusing!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradkdoesntcare