I'm a Windows user, here are my honest macOS Sequoia first impressions

HI50Steve

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
macOS Sequoia is here, but is it enough to tempt me away from the multitasking prowess of Windows?

I'm a Windows user, here are my honest macOS Sequoia first impressions : Read more
Hello Stephen Warwick,

Thank you for your article. It’s nice that you were willing to give macOS Sequoia a try. Hopefully Apple will add the refinements you seek soon. Right now I use Better Snap Tool on my Mac to accomplish the Snapping feature that Microsoft so cleverly came up with.

I’ve been a Mac user for at least 15 years and within five minutes of using macOS I swore I would never use Windows again. The main reason for this is Apple’s intuitive and easy approach way of doing things on a computer. Instead of installing a Program which adds a Folder to your Start Menu, with additional Folders therein, Apple hides those additional Folders within the Mac App’s/Program’s icon. For the most part, you just need to start/run an App, you don’t need to see nor access all of the Folders and Files required to run the App. If you need to access them, you can if you know how.

Another thing I personally appreciate about macOS is that if you need to do something in an App or with macOS, there is typically two, three, or even more ways to accomplish the function you’re looking to accomplish. Each of these functions will be relatively easy to execute. What I found, and still do find with Windows is that if you want to turn off something, like System Sounds for instance, this is no easy task. Will going to Settings work in Windows 10 or 11? Nope. Well how do you get to it? You have to access Control Panel which takes some doing, and then you get taken back in time to Windows 95 when you finally get to where you need to go in order to adjust the Sound Settings. Microsoft and Android seem user hostile to me. There isn’t multiple ways to accomplish a task, there’s one way, that is not straightforward, that you have to jump through countless hoops to get to. Sometimes it even requires a Google Search because the task you’re trying to accomplish is hidden and buried within a sub-menu of a sub-menu of a menu. Making a user go through that to turn on computer sounds seems user hostile to me, not user friendly. Window Snapping though, is definitely user friendly and I absolutely love using it on the Windows PC I used to manage and still work with.

All that being said, my primary computer of choice is my 12.9 Inch M1 iPad Pro. Many Mac users complain about iPadOS’s inability to get real work done and that you can’t run complicated functions in the Background, nor can you have multiple Apps work in conjunction with each other at the same time. For the vast majority of people though, I would dare say that they only use one or maybe two Apps at a time. There are also a lot of jobs that don’t require doing any more than surfing the web, sending emails, sending Messages, creating Documents or Spreadsheets, etc. All these things can easily be accomplished on an iPad. I have a 12.9 Inch iPad Pro with an M1 Chip not because I am editing photos or working with videos, but because I wanted to have an iPad with the biggest and nicest screen, and a full-sized keyboard. I also use it to listen to Podcasts and watch TV Shows and Movies on. For those use cases, it is absolutely great! I have an M1 13.3 Inch MacBook Pro but I only use it when I have to. Why? Because for most of what I need to do, the complexity of having to navigate through and use a computer OS, even macOS, is more than I want to deal with.

All that being said, each OS has its strengths and weaknesses. At the end of the day, it just boils down to what each person prefers. The biggest thing that keeps me on Apple’s Devices is how well and easily they work with each other, even their Accessories they make like AirPods and HomePods. Apple adds all these nice little features and tools to their products that makes them a joy to use.

Thank you for your article. 🙂

simonmann

May 20, 2023
Visit site
macOS still lacks basic productivity functions which have now become its defining weakness, and finger gymanastic coupled with remebering long keyboard "shortcuts" isnt worth it, Windows wins the productivity game again.

Xijah

Mar 8, 2024
Visit site
macOS still lacks basic productivity functions which have now become its defining weakness, and finger gymanastic coupled with remebering long keyboard "shortcuts" isnt worth it, Windows wins the productivity game again.
Care to explain a little more

Xijah

Mar 8, 2024
Visit site
Was a window user first, but once I became a photographer and creative moved on to apple, and have never looked back, there is only one reason I would pick windows over Mac, and thats down to gaming, the stability and efficiency of Mac over windows is a no brainer for me, Ive recently completed my MA, and in that time I have never seen a pc in sight in my educational establishments, i'm guessing that its down to reliability and software stability over windows cause it isn't down to price! In the end people will use what they prefer and what they can afford, both windows and Mac offer positives and negatives.

Reactions: Just_Me_D