I used to work at the Apple store, here are 5 things you should never buy there

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Early on in my Apple experience, on one horrifically early "Black Friday" morning, I made a beeline for the Apple Store. Not realizing that Apple doesn't give discounts, as this article has stated, I was rather disappointed when I found this out!!! So when I'm looking for a new device, I do my research to get the best deal. I usually make my purchases from other places other than the Apple Store, but there's nothing like walking out of the Apple Store with one of their white bags. :D

bitkahuna

Jun 28, 2023
Visit site
cheaper if you want last year's stuff or don't need a custom config. obviously nothing wrong with that though, if that's good enough for you.

also, buying from apple with their card gives 0% plus apple cash back.

mjd1969

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Pretty obvious advice for anyone that has shopped around at all. I will say that the Apple store is the ONLY place you should go for repairs though. I had a 5th Gen 12.9" iPad Pro that was 6 months out of warranty. My dog knocked it off a table and knocked a glass of water on top of it. Despite my attempts to save it, the True Depth camera failed and face id didn't work anymore. I checked online and Apple said my local Best Buy was an authorized service center. I took it there, the tech rans some diagnostics and declared it unrepairable. He handed it back to me. He said I simply had to buy a new one. Frustrated, I made an appointment at my local Apple store. They ran the same diagnostics and agreed it was dead. He also mentioned iPads are too difficult to repair, so they usually just swap them out. Instead of turning me away, they offered me another 5th Gen for $750 which was cheaper than new. He also mentioned that if I wanted a new on, they would give me $475 for my broken unit towards a new unit. THe math was easy- $750 for the previous gen or $1200-475=$725 for a new one. I went the new route. When he was checking me out, he asked if I had any kids in school. As I have a daughter in college, he gave me the education discount. Because I made the purchase during the back to school promotion, I got a $100 gift card with the purchase. In the end, I got a new 6th gen 256Gb unit for $670 after taxes and a $100 gift card to use later. I was very happy with the Apple store visit.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Pretty obvious advice for anyone that has shopped around at all. I will say that the Apple store is the ONLY place you should go for repairs though. I had a 5th Gen 12.9" iPad Pro that was 6 months out of warranty. My dog knocked it off a table and knocked a glass of water on top of it. Despite my attempts to save it, the True Depth camera failed and face id didn't work anymore. I checked online and Apple said my local Best Buy was an authorized service center. I took it there, the tech rans some diagnostics and declared it unrepairable. He handed it back to me. He said I simply had to buy a new one. Frustrated, I made an appointment at my local Apple store. They ran the same diagnostics and agreed it was dead. He also mentioned iPads are too difficult to repair, so they usually just swap them out. Instead of turning me away, they offered me another 5th Gen for $750 which was cheaper than new. He also mentioned that if I wanted a new on, they would give me $475 for my broken unit towards a new unit. THe math was easy- $750 for the previous gen or $1200-475=$725 for a new one. I went the new route. When he was checking me out, he asked if I had any kids in school. As I have a daughter in college, he gave me the education discount. Because I made the purchase during the back to school promotion, I got a $100 gift card with the purchase. In the end, I got a new 6th gen 256Gb unit for $670 after taxes and a $100 gift card to use later. I was very happy with the Apple store visit.
That's fantastic! I agree and would choose to go to the Apple Store for repairs over Best Buy. They took good care of me when one of my AirPods died, and I was quite pleased. I have gone to an independent place to have the screen replaced on my husband's iPad 2 when he left it on the roof of his car. Needless to say, it flew off and the screen was damaged. This was several years ago before there was an Apple Store in my area. The repaired screen worked well, and he still uses it occasionally.

Reactions: Just_Me_D

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
That’s an amazing story about good customer service! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Just_Me_D

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Early on in my Apple experience, on one horrifically early "Black Friday" morning, I made a beeline for the Apple Store. Not realizing that Apple doesn't give discounts, as this article has stated, I was rather disappointed when I found this out!!! So when I'm looking for a new device, I do my research to get the best deal. I usually make my purchases from other places other than the Apple Store, but there's nothing like walking out of the Apple Store with one of their white bags. :D

New iPhones are usually the same price most places.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Hardware mainly comes from Apple. There are exceptions (Amazon Prime days) but usually comes from Apple.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77