Hulu TV beta vs Channels for AppleTV?

dtahoesf

Jun 15, 2017
Visit site
Lots of great info in Lory's series of articles as I try to cut the cord. Q: If I already have Hulu for Apple TV, how does upgrading to this Live version compare to simply buying the Channels for AppleTV app (Now 14.99) that was recommended in other articles?

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
They're two very different things. Channels give you access to the OTA channels your antenna can pick up. So you can get your local channels and some others, but what you can get is all dependent on where you live and the kind of antenna you have. You'll also need a DVR, like Tablo or HDHomeRun that will record the content from the antenna. Then the Channels app can access it. If you're tech savvy enough to handle all of that I say go for it. I would if I could, but I have a disability so I can't do any of work myself and walking someone else through it would just be an exercise in frustration for all involved. There are also cons though. If there's bad weather you may lose signal and so you'll miss your shows. There are ways around this problem. There are many resources that can help you with if this is the route you want to take. My advice is research, research, and research some more. And don't cheap out on the antenna.

As for Hulu live I would try the free beta and evaluate it for myself. I love Hulu but I went with PlayStation Vue because it has AMC. Vue's killer feature is its login credentials can be used in the individual channels' corresponding apps. However, if Hulu ever gets AMC I'll drop Vue in a heartbeat.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
As for Hulu live I would try the free beta and evaluate it for myself. I love Hulu but I went with PlayStation Vue because it has AMC. Vue's killer feature is its login credentials can be used in the individual channels' corresponding apps. However, if Hulu ever gets AMC I'll drop Vue in a heartbeat.

I have Vue as well & love it because of the NFL Network. If the others follow suit, I might be tempted to try them out, but until then I'm enjoying Vue.

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
I have Vue as well & love it because of the NFL Network. If the others follow suit, I might be tempted to try them out, but until then I'm enjoying Vue.

Sports is the final frontier for all of these services. Lucky for me I'm not a sports fan. The only sports I like are beach volleyball and curling. Both of which I can watch on YouTube.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Sports is the final frontier for all of these services. Lucky for me I'm not a sports fan. The only sports I like are beach volleyball and curling. Both of which I can watch on YouTube.

Agreed!!! Vue has every ESPN station, along with NFL & NBA....I'm in heaven I think it might have MLB but I'm not a fan of baseball at all.

JBaby_9783

Jan 22, 2009
Visit site
Agreed!!! Vue has every ESPN station, along with NFL & NBA....I'm in heaven I think it might have MLB but I'm not a fan of baseball at all.

You're gonna think I'm crazy, but I got Vue just so I can watch The Walking Dead/Fear the Walking Dead and Talking Dead live. TWD is a big deal in my house. If I didn't watch these shows I wouldn't need Vue. Hulu, Netflix, and CBS All Access would be enough for me. I also have Amazon Prime, but I have it for the shipping. The video is just a bonus for me.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
You're gonna think I'm crazy, but I got Vue just so I can watch The Walking Dead/Fear the Walking Dead and Talking Dead live. TWD is a big deal in my house. If I didn't watch these shows I wouldn't need Vue. Hulu, Netflix, and CBS All Access would be enough for me. I also have Amazon Prime, but I have it for the shipping. The video is just a bonus for me.

Nothing wrong with TWD. We all have our needs

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiprasad