How to use field test on iPhone?

vanko987

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site
Does anyone know what all the information in the Field Test mode on the iPhone means? There are a ton of menus in it like Reselection candidates, neighboring cells, etc, and I was wondering what that all meant. Thanks!
7970937ec8240d8c91fe147386f67939.jpg

On a side note, when a Verizon iPhone shows "Extended", is there a way to see what carrier its roaming on in the Field Test Mode? If not, is there another app that would show the actual carrier instead of just Extended?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That info is not for the users benefit. It's for the carriers. There's nothing much there that we, as the iPhone user, can use for anything, except changing the dots in the status bar to numeric values.

vanko987

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site
That info is not for the users benefit. It's for the carriers. There's nothing much there that we, as the iPhone user, can use for anything, except changing the dots in the status bar to numeric values.

Got it. So most of the info isn't really usable by anyone except the carriers. But do you know anything about how to tell what carrier a Verizon phone is on when it says Extended? I was reading about this in another forum, but the explanation was pretty vague. I know this kind of differs from the original question, but I've been wondering about this for a while.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Got it. So most of the info isn't really usable by anyone except the carriers. But do you know anything about how to tell what carrier a Verizon phone is on when it says Extended? I was reading about this in another forum, but the explanation was pretty vague. I know this kind of differs from the original question, but I've been wondering about this for a while.

Extended service means you are in an area where your carrier does not have any of it's own towers, but they have a signed agreement to provide service using a different carrier's towers to provide you with service. Since there is a signed agreement, you do not pay any additional charges.

vanko987

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site
Extended service means you are in an area where your carrier does not have any of it's own towers, but they have a signed agreement to provide service using a different carrier's towers to provide you with service. Since there is a signed agreement, you do not pay any additional charges.

I understand that, I was just wondering if there is a way to tell what network you are using when the phone shows extended. For example, I know that in some areas, Verizon's extended network is provided by U.S. Cellular. Is there a way to find out what network is providing the service for Verizon's extended network? I might be able to figure this out by finding the Mobile Country Code/Mobile Network Code, but I have yet to find a way to do this.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I understand that, I was just wondering if there is a way to tell what network you are using when the phone shows extended. For example, I know that in some areas, Verizon's extended network is provided by U.S. Cellular. Is there a way to find out what network is providing the service for Verizon's extended network? I might be able to figure this out by finding the Mobile Country Code/Mobile Network Code, but I have yet to find a way to do this.

I think there's a list of codes on a site I found a while back. Don't think it listed location. Just what codes went with what service. Why do you need to know this? Have you tried calling your carrier and asking them?

vanko987

Jun 13, 2017
Visit site
I think there's a list of codes on a site I found a while back. Don't think it listed location. Just what codes went with what service. Why do you need to know this? Have you tried calling your carrier and asking them?

I was camping recently and my phone switched to extended, and I was just curious what network my phone was using. I did some research and found an app that will tell me the codes. I'll test it next time I'm on the extended network. Thanks for your help!