How to use external DVD with iMac

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
I own a one year old iMac fully updated and running the most current OSX. I'm now on my second external DVD/CD reader/writer that will not run reliably with the iMac. I've tested the same DVD and it works fine with a MacBook running the same OSX. I'm trying to import an old collection of audio CD's. When first connected to USB, I can get the DVD to open and read a CD. Once it's done importing the CD, it will not open unless I unplug and reconnect the player. Same behavior on two different brand devices and same results even if I connect external power to the DVD so it is not a USB power issue.
Has anyone experienced similar and found a solution?

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I can say I experienced this with a cheaper drive that I bought one time. Not saying you have a cheap drive. Door would not open when you ejected disc. I never did solve it. Tried it all. Plugged in directly to the wall, into my iMac's, different cables all with no luck. Decided to buy an  SuperDrive and was the best decision I could have made. No door and ejects every time without fail. Have never had an issue since.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii28