How to STOP the music in this common scenario

Bytehoven

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
How to stop playing music that you've started playing on lock screen by way of the Music app widget, when you unlock the screen and the Music app is not open, and you don't want to open it, you simply want the music to stop.

Here's how to duplicate this extremely frustrating UI problem:

1. Make sure your iPhone does not have the Music app open.
  2. Lock your screen
  3. Start a playlist from the Music widget in lock screen without the Ear Buds!!!
  4. Ten minutes later, you need to lookup something in your calendar or whatever, so you unlock the screen.
  5. After another five minutes, someone comes in to your office that you need to talk to.
  6. Therefore, you want to stop the playlist from playing from playing through the iPhone speakers.
  7. HOW DO YOU STOP THE MUSIC INSTANTLY?

NOTE #1) I do not want to scroll over 4 screens, open my music folder launch my Music app, click the whatever it takes to get to the controls, and all that other extraneous nonsense. My life moves much faster than that to allow such inefficient use of my time.

Did Apple not imagine such a scenario? if so, they need to fire their entire iPhone UI department, or at least the people responsible for creating this excruciatingly annoying waste of my time.

Thanks to anyone who can answer this. I will air-hug you through cosmic means, if you can solve this or at least verify, that this is a serious bug in the UI.

• And please don't say, plug in your Ear Buds, because I left those in the car.
  • And please don't say, launch the Music app. Re-read NOTE #1 above.
  • And please hold the volume switch down until the volume is zero. Read the second sentence in NOTE #1 to understand why this is not a solution; you're very fortunate to have such a slow moving life.
  • And please don't say, "pause the music" before you unlock the screen, because then you didn't read the steps #4 and #5 in the list of steps to recreate this problem; re-read those and see if you get it this time.
  • And please don't say, lock your screen again and the swipe over to get the lock screen controls. If you say that, you obviously do not understand the second sentence in NOTE #1 above, and you're very fortunate to have a life that moves so slowly to allow such an inefficient use of your time.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Can you not swipe up from the bottom of any screen to launch Control Center and pause the music there? That's what I do.

Edit...Another thing you could do is buy an Apple Watch. It seems that it would benefit you since you are so busy.

Last edited:

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Can you not swipe up from the bottom of any screen to launch Control Center and pause the music there? That's what I do.

Edit...Another thing you could do is buy an Apple Watch. It seems that it would benefit you since you are so busy.

I use my Apple Watch. Tap and music stops. :)

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Other than Control Center, Apple Watch, or moving the music app to the dock or home screen, I have nothing. Though it would seem moving the music app would take too much time if three seconds for holding the volume down takes too much time. So yeah, Apple Watch or Control Center.

Bytehoven

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
THANK YOU! I didn't realize that the swipe up control panel had that second panel to its right. Don't know how I missed that. I've only ever used that for airplane mode, do not disturb, flash light, and timer.

Thanks again. Five air-hugs coming all your ways, via cosmic transference!
Really appreciate it, Lyall, Ledsteplin, Lee_Bo, SwitchBeach, and metllicamailitia!

PS: I haven't worn a watch since 1990, and not wearing a watch has enabled me to triple or even quadruple my productivity. You'd be surprised how NOT thinking about time frees you to get so much more done. My record of software development, CD-ROM development, award-winning books, symphonies, and operas attests to how much one person can get done when one is not shackled by the ticking clock. We all have our own rhythm, but when you wear a watch you are constraining that rhythm by dividing it into units not created by yourself. If you need to be somewhere at a certain time, set a reminder; that's about as close as I ever get to allowing time to control me instead me controlling time.

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
PS: I haven't worn a watch since 1990, and not wearing a watch has enabled me to triple or even quadruple my productivity. You'd be surprised how NOT thinking about time frees you to get so much more done. My record of software development, CD-ROM development, award-winning books, symphonies, and operas attests to how much one person can get done when one is not shackled by the ticking clock. We all have our own rhythm, but when you wear a watch you are constraining that rhythm by dividing it into units not created by yourself. If you need to be somewhere at a certain time, set a reminder; that's about as close as I ever get to allowing time to control me instead me controlling time.
8a239475c9cb724a9a263b6b9409f166.jpg

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
  • And please don't say, plug in your Ear Buds, because I left those in the car.

Buy a second pair. I have a few, and it's awesome ;) (though now that I got AirPods, I'll only be buying ONE set of those lol -- but I still have multiple wired versions in various places)

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

I know that feeling 100%. I also have not worn a watch since the 90's so I was a little concerned on how I would react to the Apple Watch. After wearing it for about a week I quickly realized that I really don't notice it unless I get a notification or use the pedometer (I walk the parking lots during lunch). Now that I've been wearing it for a while, the only real time it bothers me is when I notice I'm not wearing it. :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77