HomePod/Siri Shortcuts not playing nice with each other

jld0077

Feb 5, 2021
Visit site
We have an odd situation. We have Siri Shortcuts set up on my wife's phone that turn our ceiling fan light on and off. It works great using Siri on her phone. However, the HomePod and HomePod Mini in our house won't run the shortcuts, insisting that the phone is on a different network.

Home-based functions work perfectly for her. It identifies my wife's voice, etc. Other apps on her phone, such as Reminders, leave the same error -- I'm having trouble with that. Please check to see that your phone and this HomePod are on the same network.

The phone is on the same network. Even weirder, the exact same setup works flawlessly from my phone -- none of these "not same network" errors.

We've done the usual -- rebooting the devices, disconnecting and reconnecting from the network, disabling then re-enabling personalized requests in the Home app. To no effect.

Everything worked great for months. Until it didn't, and we haven't been able to figure it out.

Apple's stumped. Basically, they told us to reset the HomePods from scratch. Barring that, set up the entire home installation again from scratch.

My wife's phone is a XR running 14.4. My phone is a 12 Pro running 14.4. Both the HomePod and HomePod Mini are running the latest versions of their operating systems.

Any help or suggestions are most welcome.

jld0077

Feb 5, 2021
Visit site
And... We have something that resembles an answer. It's not intuitive, so hopefully anyone else with a similar situation will find this helpful.

First, we disconnected my wife's phone and iPad Pro from our network. Then we restarted both the HomePod and HomePod Mini. Not reset -- just restart. Then we reconnected the phone and iPP -- and waited overnight. At that point, they started talking to each other again.

After some testing, it seems that HomeKit's taking hours to fully link changes back into a functional system. Add a user to the Home, and wait. Get an error -- disconnect the affected devices, restart them, and wait. All the misbehaving phones, iPads, and HomePods have to disconnect from the network, sit for a bit, then reconnect. After an indecently long interval, it all works again.

No idea why. But at least we're working again. YMMV

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
And... We have something that resembles an answer. It's not intuitive, so hopefully anyone else with a similar situation will find this helpful.

First, we disconnected my wife's phone and iPad Pro from our network. Then we restarted both the HomePod and HomePod Mini. Not reset -- just restart. Then we reconnected the phone and iPP -- and waited overnight. At that point, they started talking to each other again.

After some testing, it seems that HomeKit's taking hours to fully link changes back into a functional system. Add a user to the Home, and wait. Get an error -- disconnect the affected devices, restart them, and wait. All the misbehaving phones, iPads, and HomePods have to disconnect from the network, sit for a bit, then reconnect. After an indecently long interval, it all works again.

No idea why. But at least we're working again. YMMV

Thanks for sharing your update and solution. I'm sure it will be useful to others who are experiencing similar issues.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2