• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Hit a snag with slirp tethering

PSM

May 30, 2005
headsetchatter.com
Hi All,
I am trying to set up slirp tethering as outlined here:
Better iPhone Tethering

Everything was going well until the very end when I try to launch slirp from Mobile Terminal, it just says "Killed." I'm not very Terminal-savvy, so I don't really know where to begin troubleshooting. I've redone the commands in Terminal on the Mac to install slirp and give it execute permissions, and they seem to work properly, but I still just get "killed" when trying to run slirp.

Can anybody help me out? I have successfully tethered using the SOCKS method, but I really need all my apps to have net access, not just the browser, so I desperately want to get the slirp method to work.

P.S. I have a 3G

One more thing I discovered: when I try to give slirp execute permissions while ssh'ed from my Mac, it says nothing after the command (chmod +x /usr/bin/slirp). When I enter the same command in Mobile Terminal it says "operation not permitted." Is that normal when trying to do it from the phone, or is this a sign of an incompatibility with 2.0?

Last edited:

jole@jole.fi

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
Everything was going well until the very end when I try to launch slirp from Mobile Terminal, it just says "Killed."

My guess is that the slirp binary is not compatible with iPhone version 2.0. Anyone knows where to get 2.0 compatible version?

One more thing I discovered: when I try to give slirp execute permissions while ssh'ed from my Mac, it says nothing after the command (chmod +x /usr/bin/slirp). When I enter the same command in Mobile Terminal it says "operation not permitted." Is that normal when trying to do it from the phone, or is this a sign of an incompatibility with 2.0?

MobileTerminal seems to log in as mobile user that does not have proper permissions to do that. From your mac you probably logged in as root.

Mufasa

Sep 30, 2008
Visit site
Haven't had luck myself but have gotten a little further. The binary on that page does seem to indeed be for firmware 1.x. For a 2.x binary that does more than just die, search for slirp in Cydia and install. Might want to remove the old 1.x binary first though.

spsands

Sep 10, 2008
www.twitter.com
definitely... Im not a terminal savvy guy, so PDAnet is almost foolproof...

I forgot to go into my iphone settings and Join the wifi network I set up... duuuuhhh... its really simple...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blin