Has Your iPad Pro Replaced Your Primary Computer?

Alanhd

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Pixelmator can't open raw files(it only opens a thumbnail). This is a big disadvantage if I'm away shooting and need to edit. So my laptop normally goes everywhere with me.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
My iPad Pro has made my MacBook Air redundant. That does not mean I don't need a computer...

I find that my iPad Pro (plus Logitech Create keyboard case) does virtually everything that I want to do on a typical day but there's still tasks where I need a computer. Like others I was waiting for the new MacBook Pro's and then was disappointed by the specs and prices and got to thinking more about what I actually needed. The surprising conclusion was that the perfect companion to my iPad was a desktop PC! It does Photoshop & Lightroom like a Mac, but plays the latest games too. I don't love Windows, I'm not trying to convince others to follow me, just saying it's the unexpected path I've gone down since getting my iPad Pro.

My only regret with my iPad Pro because I didn't predict how central it would become to my computing life is not getting the cellular model; I can tether via my phone but it can be temperamental.

johndill17

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
To those that have replaced their desktops or notebooks with an iPad Pro, did you use iTunes prior? I'm looking to do the same but how how do you transfer CDs (yes I'm old school) to iTunes if you're using an iPad Pro? How about backing up your phone or or doing a fresh OS install w your iPhone? I don't particularly like using the cloud for all my data and I prefer to use iTunes to OS updates. Aside from that I think I could move to solely to an iPad Pro.

This exactly. I don't buy CDs anymore, so I don't need to burn them, but I like to manage and curate offline MP3 music files in iTunes. I also need to frequently restore/update iOS devices in iTunes. If I could do those things on my Baby Pro then I could throw my Windows PC away (don't own a mac), and I'd be very happy to do so.

Clickfiend's comments about his other devices being accessories for his iPad made me think more about how I use my devices. I'd say that the iPad can't replace my primary computer because my primary computer is my iPhone 7 Plus. I'd say that the iPad is an accessory for my iPhone. With iCloud and Continuity, the iPad is basically the large screen version of my iPhone. I do everything with my phone, for the most part, and I use my iPad when I want to do those things on a bigger screen or with my iPad's physical keyboard (ZAGG Slim Book).

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I still love my Macbook Pro much more than the iPad Pro. Having 16GB RAM and 2TB storage options is just so awesome. Plus its running and Desktop OS, which for me just seems more logical. If the iPad Pro ran Mac OS then combined with a keyboard, it could have the potential. but for right now, i just don't see it replacing my primary computer.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I still love my Macbook Pro much more than the iPad Pro. Having 16GB RAM and 2TB storage options is just so awesome. Plus its running and Desktop OS, which for me just seems more logical. If the iPad Pro ran Mac OS then combined with a keyboard, it could have the potential. but for right now, i just don't see it replacing my primary computer.

In my case, since my MacBook is so old, my iPad Pro is my primary "computing" device. Thankfully, it is sufficient for a majority of my computing needs. Having said that, if I could do it all again, I would choose a MacBook Air in lieu of the iPad Pro as a computer replacement device.

mattkerwin24

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Yep...I actually had a chrome book I was using as my "pc" and my iPad has become my primary device...I even use it more than my phone now haha