has the rumored 5s kept you away from upgrading to the 5?

ThomasJL

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Keeping the 4S till it dies. I love the design, the look, the weight etc. Not a fan of the 5, too light & seems fragile to me.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I am actually hoping it announces at WWDC and sells 10 days or so later. My upgrades are in 6 weeks and while I want to migrate over to iOS again now I just can't justify not waiting for the newer phone due out a couple of months later. But will it really be June/July or Sept/Oct? That is the question.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm willing to wait for June/July if its a worthy upgrade on internal specs, as for waiting for the next major revision, I wouldn't wait that is a 18 months or so out. But I can't see using my April upgrade when it will possibly be out in June/July that to me is a waste of an upgrade. Who doesn't want a better processor, better camera, better flash, better battery and having the new one just two months or so later.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Some people like the smaller screen, and the feel of the iPhone 4/4S. Personally I didn't care for the thinness of the iP5 compared to the 4/4S and I certainly don't care for the crappy quality control they have on the current generation of iPhones. If they design it so it can't be built without damaging nearly every case then they designed it poorly.

that_maynard

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I have dabbled with the 5, but didn't notice how light it was until someone mentioned it compaired to the 4s.

Back on topic......August is right around the corner.....I think that I'll just pull the trigger and get the i5.

flashhh

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Apple has absolutely dropped the ball with regards to the black IP5. You can't market a phone on the basis of it's superior esthetics and then ship out half of them scratched immediately upon unboxing. FAIL.

In addition, I've been shocked at how DIRTY these phones are right out of the box. Lint and dust everywhere on the phone once you open it!

Some people like the smaller screen, and the feel of the iPhone 4/4S. Personally I didn't care for the thinness of the iP5 compared to the 4/4S and I certainly don't care for the crappy quality control they have on the current generation of iPhones. If they design it so it can't be built without damaging nearly every case then they designed it poorly.

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Apple has absolutely dropped the ball with regards to the black IP5. You can't market a phone on the basis of it's superior esthetics and then ship out half of them scratched immediately upon unboxing. FAIL.

In addition, I've been shocked at how DIRTY these phones are right out of the box. Lint and dust everywhere on the phone once you open it!

Before you get hated on, lol. I agree to extent, the black one regardless of what others will say was prone to being chipped/scuffed out of the box and is a lot easier to scratch on the edges than any other iPhone I've owned.

My black iPhone 5 still looks basically new though. My first one had quite of few scratches on it when I opened it and I refused to use it.

Yes phones in time are going to scratch but I keep my stuff as nice as I can so when I first get my products I expect them to be flawless.

But I think once you get past the initial batch they have seemed to be pretty good.

I still think I like the look of the iPhone 4(s) better or only it was bigger.

fordgirl14

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I still love my iPhone 4S, but I will strongly consider a 5S when it comes out. Hopefully Apple addresses the black housing issues, that was one of the main reasons I didn't get one. I am so picky about keeping my devices looking perfect.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Well I have officially given up on holding out for the iP5S and will be picking up a new iP5 next week, just sold off my Nexus 7, and Galaxy S3. For me it has more to do with specifc apps that work related from Cisco on iOS and that was the push behind it. Given how easily the black iP5 shows off marks and damge I am for the first time looking at a white iPhone, something I have never considered but I hate how easily the black iP5 shows off any scuffs or scratches.

RogueLabTech

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I am in the USA, and my two year cell phone contract expiration seems to coincide with the launch of the iPhone "S" series phones, meaning I am still on the iPhone 4S. Previously, I was on a HTC Android phone for two years, which was pure hell. Battery life was nonexistent, and I did not put on any additional apps after quickly learning non-stock apps seemed to quickly compromise the stability of the OS.

I really like the form factor (larger screen but not wider) and noticeably lighter weight of my friends' iPhone 5 phones. I am pretty close to the end of my contract, so an upgrade to the iPhone 5 would run me $350 versus waiting until I am properly eligible and upgrading for just $200. Of course, by the time my contract expires, again, I expect the iPhone 5s to be going on sale,so the $200 upgrade will buy me the newest generation of iPhone (5S) and the iPhone 5 will drop to $100.

mclarensr

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I have been on the 'S' cycle and contract limitations has kept me from getting the 5. I know I can full price, but I don't want to, if I have a choice.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
"has the rumored 5s kept you away from upgrading to the 5?"

the rumored 5s is keeping me from buying both the 5 and the 5s to a certain degree. i'm not getting an upgrade til november so it doesn't matter really but point is the rumors around the 5s are unimpressive. Right now it sounds like nothing but a spec bump and the same form factor. I was disappointed that the shell didnt' change last time. I'd be really disappointed if the same thing happened this time. It wouldn't be a deal breaker but the 5 is good enough for me spec wise so if it's cheaper i'd probably just buy a 5 and not a 5s. But i can't buy a 5 because i'd need to wait to see the 5s (hopefully the 6). The real only big selling point for me is is upgrading to LTE. There is a chance i'd upgrade just to get lte. But that's not certain. upgrading a 64 gb is expensive.

RealNeal

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
My upgrade cycle is really controlled by my carrier, since I go for the subsidized phone. And that has worked great for me. There is enough distance between models that when I do get the new one it has some cool features that make the upgrade worth having and I can get excited about it.

In general, electronic devices are constantly being updated, outdated, obsoleted, and out-competed. If you need a device, just go with what meets your needs at the time. Unless you have money to burn (or are a tech writer), who can afford to buy every update?

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting ready to come back to an iPhone, but I'm not sure if I should get the 5 or wait for the 5S.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The thing is, if you're always waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll never upgrade! Because when you go to buy the phone, there's something new and better just around the corner. So, if I was in a position where I could upgrade (I technically am, but that's because I'm on a SIM-only contract), and I was considering an iPhone, I would just get the 5. That way, I'm using the current latest and greatest, and when upgrade time comes round again, I'll choose then. It was why I chose the Lumia 920 despite the rumours of the Nokia EOS. Lumia 920 is current latest and greatest WP, so I'll get that. Do you buy a phone for what it offers you NOW, or what it could offer you in the future?

Marc Johnson1

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, if you're always waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll never upgrade! Because when you go to buy the phone, there's something new and better just around the corner. So, if I was in a position where I could upgrade (I technically am, but that's because I'm on a SIM-only contract), and I was considering an iPhone, I would just get the 5. That way, I'm using the current latest and greatest, and when upgrade time comes round again, I'll choose then. It was why I chose the Lumia 920 despite the rumours of the Nokia EOS. Lumia 920 is current latest and greatest WP, so I'll get that. Do you buy a phone for what it offers you NOW, or what it could offer you in the future?
I'm due for an upgrade in a few weeks and will be getting my first iPhone and I'm going with the current version of the iPhone. I don't see the need to wait another 5 months for the 5S when the upgrades are minor hardware improvements. Now if an iPhone 6 was coming out with iOS 7 with larger battery and the hardware upgrades associated with the iPhone then that would be worth waiting for.