• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Google should get its own house in order before pointing RCS fingers at Apple

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This statement from the article says it all — “Apple doesn’t need to apologize for building better services….”

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The first thing that went through my head was “which messaging?” Lol

All of them .

29ec60c30e2171845369ced91c564e42.jpg

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Google actually deserves some accolades regarding RCS and the story regarding iMessage. It is entirely marketing but it’s been modestly successful. Side note, Google news has more page views than any news website in the U.S., and it’s by quite a lot. Now back to the story :), kids in school get bullied for having a green! bubble! (Insert YouTube tech channel name) uproar. Next, Apple is keeping out RCS because they dubiously want to lock customers into no! choice!. Next, government agencies begin pushing that messenger apps be cross platform with certain features. Small print: only messaging apps of certain high user number thresholds. Let’s say Apple has 99 million imessage users. The threshold is, wait for it, 98.99 million).
So in effect it’ll Get many millions of iMessage texts onto certain other messenger apps that monetize keywords and phrases. Huh, funny how that works, right? Especially when considering No one needs iMessage, full stop. There are a number of messengers easily installed and used. Apple put its own in as largely an add on convenience to its users(it doesn’t monetize iMessage words/phrases). If that gets people to stay in, why is that bad?

I use iMessage almost exclusively. Most of the people I know do too (all in the U.S., very few below 30). Using iMessage, I loathe and detest those I see with a green bubble — :) I’m kidding. Seriously, there is nothing that makes me want Apple to change iMessage for Google’s (and Meta’s) sake.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Accolades? Only if they succeed. If they fail like they usually do when it comes to messaging, it will be regarded as desperation.

Apple would release iMessage for android before they implement rcs. Don’t really think any iPhone users would want their messages going through googles servers.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I don’t really want my messages going through Google,and carrier grubbiness.
Google must be getting desperate, I have taken to refusing to sign in to Google if I don’t need to, and I keep getting these little messages trying to get me to sign in because Google does not recognise my patterns of use ?! who asked them to ?

Reactions: Just_Me_D

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Looks like rcs is causing some android users to switch to the iPhone. Good thing Tim Cook keep it off iOS.

1b32ccb386e0122e5b7ae7cf523722e5.png

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sachin Suthar