Getting an 8+ -- Why not the X?

duke1231

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You watch, next year all or maybe 1 iphone will be without bezels and starting price of 999$ that's the new future, especially since everyone and their mother is ordering the X

Lyall Demorrow

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much the only reason I’m not getting the X, is because of the notch. I don’t even like how the notch looks in the Essential Phone, and it’s tiny compared to the iPhone’s notch. Maybe next year. For now I’ll be happy with the 8 plus.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is better than the X. Also touch ID and Face ID to me nullifies one another and I prefer Touch ID so that's a win for me. Lastly even though 5'8 screen the aspect ratio actually makes it smaller for movies etc I'm not yet sold on the whole 18/9 aspect ratio.

Actually they said battery life is better on the X, about 2-hours

I had my heart set on the X and was going to pass last night (or this morning depending on how you look at it.) But I really pondered and my wife played devils advocate. I wanted a bigger screen from the basic iPhone 7, so was the X big enough? I don't like the notch, I don't like the facial recognition, I don't care a single !#$@# about the animojis.. I was getting the X because it is their new flagship product. My wife wants my iPhone 7 as he bent her 6 and the glass is coming out. Do I wait for the X and see if I like it and more importantly, would I be able to even get one, or just get the Space Gray 8-Plus 256GB, on my existing AT&T Next. Well I am posting in the 8+ forum, so you got my answer. Hopefully this time next week I will be unboxing.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
For me, if I'm going to pay north of $1K, I want 512GB and I don't want an ugly notch obstructing the screen when I'm watching a show or movie.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I’m definitely a person who leans more toward iOS than android but I’m taking advantage of the deal Samsung is offering former Note 7 owners to try the Note 8 this year. If for some reason I find it not to my liking I’ll either go back to the 7 plus I have now or get the 8 plus. I so wanted to be impressed by the iPhone X but it just didn’t do it for me. I like the home button. I love reachability. I like a screen without a huge notch across the top, although I noticed when I was backing out of my driveway yesterday that the back window of my Ford Flex is shaped like the iPhone X. The “notch” portion is where the middle break light sits. HAhaha!

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
The camera's are better on the X front and stabilized (both) on back, and I like the fact it's a bit taller w/o being as big as the 8+. Also longer battery life, and you can still charge it the old way, you don't have to use a wireless charging pad.

I doubt the X will have better battery life than the 8 Plus. Or any Plus model, for that matter.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I thought long and hard about which, if either, I wanted. I like the OLED screen, particularly with the contrast, as well as the larger screen in a smaller body. I don't like the lack of FPS or the aspect ratio. It appears the ratio could cause some apps to change; such as Safari apparently losing the top and bottom bars, making it harder to switch between webpages. I think I'll give them a year to work on the X-style iPhone and possibly make the upgrade next year. Beyond that, I don't like the $1000 price point or the rumors that availability will be very limited for the first couple of months.

I like that the 8 Plus has most of the improvements; though I would like the better cameras -- even if I tend not to use the cameras much. The 8 plus will have the improved portrait mode, however, which (aside from OIS on the telephoto lens) is something I wanted.

In the end, it was actually "practicality" that made it work. I bought an iPhone 6s Plus, at a nice sale price, for another family member. So, I'm going to return the 6s Plus, hand down my 7 Plus, and get the 8 Plus for myself.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I thought long and hard about which, if either, I wanted. I like the OLED screen, particularly with the contrast, as well as the larger screen in a smaller body. I don't like the lack of FPS or the aspect ratio. It appears the ratio could cause some apps to change; such as Safari apparently losing the top and bottom bars, making it harder to switch between webpages. I think I'll give them a year to work on the X-style iPhone and possibly make the upgrade next year. Beyond that, I don't like the $1000 price point or the rumors that availability will be very limited for the first couple of months.

I like that the 8 Plus has most of the improvements; though I would like the better cameras -- even if I tend not to use the cameras much. The 8 plus will have the improved portrait mode, however, which (aside from OIS on the telephoto lens) is something I wanted.

In the end, it was actually "practicality" that made it work. I bought an iPhone 6s Plus, at a nice sale price, for another family member. So, I'm going to return the 6s Plus, hand down my 7 Plus, and get the 8 Plus for myself.

Wooo! What color did you order?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I did the "devils advocate" on the 8+ for me vs the 10 (X). I really wanted the X, because I am always about the newest gee-wiz version of Apple. But I don't have the latest Apple TV (actually stopped using it), I don't have the Watch (I don't wear a watch) and my iPod, (Yes, I use it nightly to listen to as I go to sleep) is about 12+ years old. Even my iPad is an Air 2, I don't have a pro.

So do I really need the X, when there are so many things about it I am not thrilled about. I am not a fan of the notch, I am not really into the facial recognition, I still want the touch ID for now, and I am fairly sure they will sell out within a minute.. or worse, delay shipping for everyone until 2018. Plus the cost, after adding apple care, new case, more tax, etc.. I may a be at $1500-$1600.

I mentioned before the OLED is nice, but I doubt I will see much difference in how I use my phone, since I don't play games or watch movies, etc. The bonus features like Animoji's and putting some odd mask on my face, I would never ever use.. well maybe once to see how it works, as i don't even use the bubbles or add-on stuff currently available in iMessage. I just send texts and images.. like here is the phone you asked for, or I will be there at 12:15pm, traffic is bad.. etc.

I use my phone 90% for business and lifestyle. So I decided to go with the 8+ 256GB Space Gray - Delivery by date: September 22, 2017. I know what I am getting, I know the success of the build since it's the build I have had since the 6, the 7 and now the 8. It's comforting and exciting to get the upgraded cameras, and wireless charging, improved glass, etc.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Ha ha good to know I'm not the only one bothered by that notch. I can't believe Apple went with that design choice. I think a thin bezel across the top to accommodate the sensors/speaker actually would've been the more elegant option.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Agreed

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, if I were looking for a new phone this season, it would be the 8 Plus. Touch ID isn't something I want to give up until I'm certain Face ID works perfectly.

michial

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
Yeah. I think the x has potential. But this year the current form factor of 8/8+ will be the ultimate refined perfected version of that form whereas the X is a good launching point that will only get better. Too many kinks and a nasty notch to work out first.

anon(427874)

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I am very nervous about that full screen on the X and how/if it will survive a drop. I am very careful with my tech, but I feel like I'd be paranoid about that screen. So I am waiting to see how it works out for folks.

I will be upgrading to the 8+ because I joined the upgrade program last year. I will be using the Apple Leather case so I'm feeling that the glass back is somewhat protected.

Other reasons I hesitate:

1. I also don't think the X is quite baked. Face ID because can't get touchid to work?
2. It's likely that supplies will be purposely limited, so it feels like a field test of the new design concepts.

I'm just waiting for version 2. Still excited that Apple is making these leaps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77