Flights Climbed - Watch OS9.5 bug??

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I was on a trip when OS9.5 was released and so I didn't install it until a week later. Since then, the Flights Climbed stat in the Fitness app has gone bonkers. Here are my flights climbed starting May 26: 26, 45, 0, 1, 29, 78, 2, 24, 7, 0, 1, 44, 3, 14, 35, 48, 2, 50, 0, 47, 12

As you can see, it's all over the place, ranging from 0 to 78. We have an upstairs which we seldom use, so I maybe climb a set of stairs a few times in a week. My outdoor runs are pretty flat, with a total elevation change of 338 feet over 5k, and prior to OS9.5, most of those days show 0 flights climbed.

Maybe I'm sleep climbing. :sleep:

Has anyone else experienced this??

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I was on a trip when OS9.5 was released and so I didn't install it until a week later. Since then, the Flights Climbed stat in the Fitness app has gone bonkers. Here are my flights climbed starting May 26: 26, 45, 0, 1, 29, 78, 2, 24, 7, 0, 1, 44, 3, 14, 35, 48, 2, 50, 0, 47, 12

As you can see, it's all over the place, ranging from 0 to 78. We have an upstairs which we seldom use, so I maybe climb a set of stairs a few times in a week. My outdoor runs are pretty flat, with a total elevation change of 338 feet over 5k, and prior to OS9.5, most of those days show 0 flights climbed.

Maybe I'm sleep climbing. :sleep:

Has anyone else experienced this??
I have checked my data, including historical. and everything looks fine with my Apple Watch.

Maybe the gyroscope and the accelerometer need recalibration?

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Mine also looks reasonable.

I'd look at the sources, as your iPhone can also record floor climbs. Also, I think barometric pressure is used as a source for most of floor climb data (for both devices). Has the weather been up and down where you are? (IIRC, you live in California, so I'm going to guess that's not the issue...)

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Crazy thought: if you drive a car, have a look at the elevation reported by the Compass app.

When CarPlay connects to my phone, it adds about 1km to the elevation.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Mine also looks reasonable.

I'd look at the sources, as your iPhone can also record floor climbs. Also, I think barometric pressure is used as a source for most of floor climb data (for both devices). Has the weather been up and down where you are? (IIRC, you live in California, so I'm going to guess that's not the issue...)

After further review, I'm still baffled. Looking at sources, most of the flights do seem to come from my Ultra. Usually it is during a run (with very little elevation change) or after I've just finished a run (a delay in writing the data?). On the other hand, last Friday I got 26 flights sitting on a deck at a resort in Honduras sipping drinks. Pretty sure the one step up to the deck didn't add up to 26 flights. :cool:

The barometric pressure is a possible explanation. I live in Fort Worth and May-August we have a lot of stormy weather.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77