Do You Think Threads Will Supplant Twitter as the De Factoacto Microblogging Service?

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Legally, they still seem to be called Twitter ULC in the business registry, so…
I won't pay $100 to query details from the registry, whether they submitted their name change or even kept their details up-to-date as they are required. It's just not worth my energy, money or time.

Here's the key part to it being dead:

Basically, it's not Twitter… it's just something else.

For the challenge of it, I tried logging in to Twitter two weeks ago, and it still said that I am "401 Unauthorized"; it has been doing so since January 2023. So, meh; I'll just do my social networking on a different platform.

“Here is the key part to it being dead: Finally REBRANDING the site….”

giphy.gif

Bla1ze

Staff member
Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Do you believe that Threads will supplant Twitter as the top microblogging service? My answer is no. Like in politics, it’s difficult to unseat the incumbent.
No, people are addicted to the chaos and train wrecks that happen daily on Twitter. Whether they want to admit it or not. Just like driving by an accident, most people are gonna look. With Twitter, you get it all in real time.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
No, people are addicted to the chaos and train wrecks that happen daily on Twitter. Whether they want to admit it or not. Just like driving by an accident, most people are gonna look. With Twitter, you get it all in real time.

This. Exactly.

I had a Twitter account but rarely used it. And when I did, it was a cesspool of political vomit. I canceled it not too long ago.

Remember, though, that Threads is not Twitter. Threads is basically just a chat feature of Instagram. And I’m personally finding a lot of use in it.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Those traffic numbers, apparently, not very reliable:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
It really is.

There are three ways to get reliable information about Threads (or the untitled social network formerly know as Twitter):
  • Investor filings
    • Meta publishes their Daily Active User and Monthly Active User counts for Facebook
  • Filings with the government regulators (e.g.: CRTC)
  • Statistics from major service providers on core network infrastructure
    • Statistics on DNS queries done by 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1
    • Have not found any, so…
Anything else is tangential at best, and incorrect at worst.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It really is.

There are three ways to get reliable information about Threads (or the untitled social network formerly know as Twitter):
  • Investor filings
    • Meta publishes their Daily Active User and Monthly Active User counts for Facebook
  • Filings with the government regulators (e.g.: CRTC)
  • Statistics from major service providers on core network infrastructure
    • Statistics on DNS queries done by 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1
    • Have not found any, so…
Anything else is tangential at best, and incorrect at worst.

Zuck admitted it

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I’m talking about that 82% statistic that was posted earlier.

I do know that Mark Zuckerberg confirmed that Threads daily active users was down by 50%.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I’m talking about that 82% statistic that was posted earlier.

I do know that Mark Zuckerberg confirmed that Threads daily active users was down by 50%.

That’s inaccurate.

He claimed it was > 50%.
Last I checked 80% > 50%.

It didn’t look like you knew about it. It’s ok everyone makes mistakes.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
That’s inaccurate.

He claimed it was > 50%.
Last I checked 80% > 50%.

It didn’t look like you knew about it. It’s ok everyone makes mistakes.

However 92.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Well started sir, however some people have indeed exited X for Threads. Still, I suspect many of them have dual accounts.

Those users are still on x and they are currently having a meltdown because musk threatened to ban bans.

Threads now down to half a million active users

fbcd054dff0c8f58010ddfa0e761232f.png

Last edited:

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Twitter has a large and established user base with ingrained usage habits. Users have invested time in building their followers, creating content, and engaging with others. Switching to a new platform would require a strong incentive.
That is absolutely true.

There is a big group that already left the math variable social network in past waves as well to other interconnected social networks, and they have built their following in their new homes as well.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
That is absolutely true.

There is a big group that already left the math variable social network in past waves as well to other interconnected social networks, and they have built their following in their new homes as well.

I’ve noticed this as well. I’m following many that I followed on Twitter on other options such as mastodon now.

Reactions: EdwinG

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Doesn’t look like it op, twitter has increased their monthly active users to 550 million users. Seems like most people that left are now back on the platform and then some.

Elon musk certainly seems to know what he is doing.

98b570317ca73030ea99baf231bd934d.jpg

Reactions: Just_Me_D

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Doesn’t look like it op, twitter has increased their monthly active users to 550 million users. Seems like most people that left are now back on the platform and then some.

Elon musk certainly seems to know what he is doing.

98b570317ca73030ea99baf231bd934d.jpg

Going from 44 billion in value to 8. Brilliant.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77