Do you leave apps running in the background or close them?

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I think iOS got multitasking right as versus Android got it very very wrong. iOS does multitasking in the sense that after a bit of time the app you were once using gets suspended because iOS itself tells the app that it's got to go to sleep. Now, this may not be good for all apps hence the reason why there are are subset of multitasking APIs that allow an app to continue to live in memory but only apps that have been approved to use said APIs are allowed to use them. This helps keep the number of rouge background processes from skyrocketing.

I would however love to know the more technical side of how this all works, the geek in me wants to know but I'm sure that I would only get this answer from Apple themselves or an app developer. I know that the app is suspended but where is the app suspended to? Is it suspended to a page/swap space on the flash memory where it can be easily swapped back into system RAM and resumed or is it using something else?

Anyways, Android IMO get multitasking very wrong. Yes, the Android fanboys are going to hate on me for that statement but before you run to your sheds to grab your pitchforks and torches, hear me out. On Android any app process can theoretically run forever, that is, until you manually swipe the app off of the multitasking screen. This way of doing multitasking is exactly like how multitasking is done on a traditional desktop computer. The reason why it works so well on a traditional desktop and not a mobile device is because traditional desktops don't have the inherent limitations of a mobile device namely the limited amount of RAM, battery, and CPU power. Mobile devices have technological limits, they have limited computing capacity so why would you treat it like you would a desktop? That's just plain silly.

Now recently Android has come around to adopting a multitasking system similar to how iOS does things but the majority of Android devices (because they never see updates) will never have this vital change to the OS to help curb the growth of rogue background processes.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This is an ongoing discussion in the Android Realm, but it applies here. You have nailed it on the head. Apps that have background app refresh will do more damage to reopen and killing them messes around with the A chip's memory management.

Doesn't matter if Background App Refresh is enabled or not. The same applies.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77