Do we really need to fully discharge once a month!

haej1

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Apple said that it's recommended to fully discharge an iPhone's battery once a month to maintain the health of the battery? But I read somewhere that fully discharging a lithium-ion battery is bad for the battery's lifespan and decreases it. So what's true and false and should I discharge it once a month or not?

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

agalaria

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
You sure Apple recommended to fully discharge...? Secondly I never discharge it completely and my battery is doing fine:yes:

billyboydoy

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
No idea about what apple said but I do drain my battery at least ones a month and I can tell I got a great battery life so far.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't believe Apple would say that (I'm not 100% sure), but I've done it for years. They recommend changing your battery once it's had 500 full charge & discharge cycles if it doesn't hold at least 80% of its original capacity.

billyboydoy

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe Apple would say that (I'm not 100% sure), but I've done it for years. They recommend changing your battery once it's had 500 full charge & discharge cycles if it doesn't hold at least 80% of its original capacity.

How do u know if ur battery have 500 full charge ????

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Apple said that it's recommended to fully discharge an iPhone's battery once a month to maintain the health of the battery? But I read somewhere that fully discharging a lithium-ion battery is bad for the battery's lifespan and decreases it. So what's true and false and should I discharge it once a month or not?

No, you don't. It's not a nickel-whatever battery. Lithium-ion doesn't have "memory". Discharging to 0 is actually bad for Lithium-ion. It's best to store/ship it with a half charge.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I haven't ever fully discharged my battery in my rMini. The lowest it's got down to is 30%, but it still gets the same 10-11 hours of screen on time as it did when I bought it. :)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
It's interesting...Apple has separate battery pages for iPhone and iPad users; the iPad page suggests running it down to 0% once a month, while the iPhone page does not. Not sure why it would be suggested for one but not the other...maybe they expect that an iPhone will run out on it's own (or get close enough) with regular use?

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#mn_p

https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/#mn_p

Use Your iPad Regularly
For proper reporting of the battery?s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I do it about once a month to keep the % icon in the status bar calibrated and give the battery a workout. It is good for the battery to get that workout every now and then. But generally speaking, it doesn't matter how you charge your battery.

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No, you do not "need" to fully discharge your iPhone's battery once a month. I discharge me be completely every now and then because that's what "I want to do" and it, at least in "my" opinion, helps me maintain good battery life.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
No you don't need to fully discharge your battery once per month. Once in a while mine will get down to 10-15% before I recharge it.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
It's interesting...Apple has separate battery pages for iPhone and iPad users; the iPad page suggests running it down to 0% once a month, while the iPhone page does not. Not sure why it would be suggested for one but not the other...maybe they expect that an iPhone will run out on it's own (or get close enough) with regular use?

Well, *technically* they don't say that... They say one cycle is 0-100, and .5 of a cycle is 50-100%. I could see this more as saying "Over the course of a month drain it down for one cycle". Kind of a stretch given "completely running it down" but that still goes with the "conventional don't run it down to 0 ever" wisdom.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, *technically* they don't say that... They say one cycle is 0-100, and .5 of a cycle is 50-100%. I could see this more as saying "Over the course of a month drain it down for one cycle". Kind of a stretch given "completely running it down" but that still goes with the "conventional don't run it down to 0 ever" wisdom.

So would that mean that charging from 90% to 100% ten times would equal one cycle?

Apple has never obfuscated when it comes to their battery guidelines; if it says "charge to 100% and run down completely" it simply means run until it's dead.

bobbob1016

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
So would that mean that charging from 90% to 100% ten times would equal one cycle?

Apple has never obfuscated when it comes to their battery guidelines; if it says "charge to 100% and run down completely" it simply means run until it's dead.

I think the one on that iPad link is old, as the one on "the apple battery site"* says:
"you can recharge a lithium-ion polymer battery whenever convenient, without requiring a full charge or discharge cycle"

The one for the iPhone says the 90 percent to 100 percent (I can't type the symbol apparently as the site thinks I'm spamming?) thing under "Standard charging"

But at the bottom it says:
"Lithium-ion polymer batteries need to be used for maximum performance. If you don’t use your device often, be sure to complete a charge cycle at least once a month. Click the links below to add regular reminders to your iCal calendar."

They are giving some conflicting info, as it seems they say to do that only if you don't use your device much.

*Spam filter thinks I'm spamming, so you go to the normal Apple site, and add the slash then you add the word batteries

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
To be honest I never do any of this stuff anyway. I just use my things. By the time it would really matter, I'm ready to upgrade. Too many people (in my opinion) obsess over details like this at the cost of enjoying their devices.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
To be honest I never do any of this stuff anyway. I just use my things. By the time it would really matter, I'm ready to upgrade. Too many people (in my opinion) obsess over details like this at the cost of enjoying their devices.

Exactly. Just use the damn thing.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

EXACTLY this^^^....LOL

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Some people should just go to Settings and turn that blasted % thingy off. That one little % status bar icon has caused more users to obsess than anything else. :/

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vincie855