Votes: 49 90.7%
  • Cracked...

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

emceechad

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
Do White iPhone 3Gs really crack after time?

So my birthday is soon, and I was planning on replacing my old iPhone 2G 8GB with a new iPhone 3G 16GB...

I really wanted to get a White 3G, but I've heard the rumors that they crack after an extended period of time...

I like my devices always looking cosmetically sound, so should I get a black or white one?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
There is zero proof that the white ones are the only ones with cracks. Both have cracked but honestly I think you won't have a issue. It's been a while since I have heard of them cracking. My white iPhone is perfect since July 11th.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I now am a firm believer that this is true as mine has a couple.

I believe the black hard is harder to see though.

Mike M

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The only difference is the paint color and I doubt they use a different type of paint. I agree more with the "it's harder to see on the black" assessment. I've yet to see anyone complain about a crack and be able to honestly say they haven't dropped or mistreated it. Just beware, the plastic back isn't as strong as the metal of the 2g.

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
My white 3g has a crack by the silence switch. I haven't dropped or abused it, and it has been encased in silicone since the minute I got it. That said, it doesn't bother me at all.

Mike M

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
What about changes in temp? Could the expanding and shrinking possibly be causing the cracks? Being encased could cause abnormal heat buildup right? Yes, I confess, I'm bored and waiting to open presents.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I have a white iphone 3g and it has no cracks on it. I dont have a case on it either. All I use is the side hip pouch to carry my phone in.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Hey guys, back for an update.

I started to notice more cracking yesterday. It's all around the headphone jack, volume and ringer switch, and sleep/wake button. There's a few scattered ones on the sides and back too, away from any edges. I think 'crack' is a bad word to describe it since there is no real break in the case. It looks like more of a stress thing.

I've been using a case so it's nothing caused by normal wear and tear. I'm going to my Apple Store tomorrow, apparently it was an 'emerging issue' awhile ago when people were calling into Apple Support. I'll post tomorrow after my visit for anyone wondering how things went.

Last edited:

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Back from the Apple Store.
The Genius told me it was a known issue with the white iPhones and replaced it no questions asked. I couldn't be more happy!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Back from the Apple Store.
The Genius told me it was a known issue with the white iPhones and replaced it no questions asked. I couldn't be more happy!

I have yet to see one of these in person... more than likely it was a bad batch somewhere along the line.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I have yet to see one of these in person... more than likely it was a bad batch somewhere along the line.

I should have asked if he knew what was causing the issue.
It could be any number of things with the first batch. Maybe a crate was left in certain conditions that made the plastic vulnerable to the stress cracks.

Poor woman next to me drove an hour, took half the day off work, and put her kids in daycare because her battery was dying too rapidly. He told her to restore when she got home to see if that resolved the issue. The two different people she talked before coming couldn't have suggested that?!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I should have asked if he knew what was causing the issue.
It could be any number of things with the first batch. Maybe a crate was left in certain conditions that made the plastic vulnerable to the stress cracks.

Poor woman next to me drove an hour, took half the day off work, and put her kids in daycare because her battery was dying too rapidly. He told her to restore when she got home to see if that resolved the issue. The two different people she talked before coming couldn't have suggested that?!

I would have just given the poor lady a new phone...

PeerB

Jan 6, 2009
Visit site
Never go in for repairs of service for any reason without first backing up your content. This applies to both iPhones and their computers. Don't want to have your HDD wiped cause your home button or f key need replacing :D

Txdogs

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
Iphone 3G casing cracks

I have a friend whose Iphone 3G cracked at the corner. She always keeps it in a case. Apple gave her a new one and told her this has been an issue with the new 3G phones. She asked why they did not keep the original silver casing but they told her it was a 3G issue with over heating.

Have any of you experienced cracking with your 3G phones on the back plastic shell? I just got mine last week and have it in a hard case to protect it. Hope to avoid the CRACKs.:D

mahomer

Nov 14, 2008
www.bootcampmobile.com
I have got a white back 16gb 3g. I have a crack at the base coming from the dock connector. I am thinking that maybe I am being too rough when I dock/undock on my universal dock sitting on my desk. Reading this thread, maybe next time I am by the apple store I will see if they will swap out.

Mine is always in a case when not in my hands or docked.

Thanks - mark

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vincie855