Cool New Stuff in iPhone OS 3.2

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Finally, a way to access some documents on the device directly through USB, without having to e-mail it to yourself!

Plus, it looks like you can now choose which app opens up when you open up a file, like open and edit iWork e-mail attachments in the proper iWork app, or choose to just view.

File-Sharing Support

Applications that want to share files with the user can now do so using the file-sharing support in iPhone OS 3.2. Here?s how it works:

1. An application indicates that it wants to share files.
2. It puts whatever files it wants to share in its Documents/Shared directory.
3. When the device is plugged into the user?s computer, a mount point is added to the system and the contents of any shared directories appear on the user?s desktop.
4. Users can modify the contents of this directory freely by copying files out, deleting files, or dragging new files in.

Document Support

An application can now register the file types it supports with the system and receive notifications when a file of the given type needs to be opened. An application that registers one or more file types may also be expected to open files of those types at some point later.

I should add that as of now Apple says iPhone OS 3.2 is for the iPad only, and doesn't say when or if it will ever be available to other devices. I'm hoping this same stuff gets added to the iPhone and iPod touch in 3.2 or 4.0 though.

Earless Puppy

May 6, 2009
Visit site
iWork will be on the iPad only cause the UI is designed for the iPad not the iPhone, but file sharing will be added to the iPhone in 4.0

Greg Orlando

Aug 28, 2009
Visit site
Does USB for this really work? I need to know more about this, let me know more information. Although your post is very detailed, but I need to know specially how it works. Thanks.

mullrat

Jun 8, 2008
Visit site
iPhone 3.2

Hey all,

I'm not expecting any features until 4.0 comes out when the new iPhone comes out. I mean why would they cannibalize the sales of the iPad with a free software update? To make me happy? no....

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiprasad