Considering an iPod touch

drysdalk

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a new iPod touch, and just want to check out a few things first, so the opinions of those who've got one and use it a lot would be useful.

At the moment, my main day-to-day device is an iPad 3 (the 2012 model, the first one with the Retina display). I do have an iPhone, but it's quite literally an iPhone - an original 2007 2G-only 8GB model. I mainly use the iPhone as an iPod nowadays, but its 8GB capacity is starting to get a little limiting. So I'm thinking of a 32GB iPod touch.

Now, on the one hand, I love the styling of the iPod touch, the metal case, and the incredible thinness and lightness of it. On the other hand however, I realise there's very little it can do that my existing iPad 3/iPhone 2G combo can't. The iPod has better cameras than my iPad or iPhone, in that it has a flash for the back camera, and does 720p on the front; and I'd be able to run the modern iPhone apps (Weather, Stocks, etc) that aren't available on the iPad, but that's realistically about it as far as new capabilities go.

One thing I'm wondering about, is how does the iPod touch perform as a modern gaming device ? I'm more thinking of the bigger almost console-style games - Deus Ex: The Fall, Republique, that kind of thing. Does anyone have experience with how the iPod touch handles these titles, or similarly intensive ones ? I realise it's basically the brains of an iPhone 4S in the body of an iPhone 5, so I'm not instinctively sure how well it will perform. Can it drive the wider screen well, or does it struggle ?

Other than that, does anyone have any recommendations as to whether or not I should take the plunge ? Are there any other iPad owners out there who also own (and actually use) their iPod touch, and if so, what kind of things make you reach for the iPod over the iPad ?

I'll freely admit that this is more a case of 'want' rather than 'need': there's no solid reason that I *need* the iPod as well as the iPhone/iPad, but I just love the design of the iPod, and find myself wanting to get one mainly because of that.

Thanks in advance !

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It seems to me that you've already made up your mind to get an iPod...:)....If so, go for it. Having said that, it *might* be better for you to buy a newer iPhone with a larger capacity In doing so, you can carry 2 devices instead 3, and you can use the newer iPhone as both a smartphone and an iPod Touch, in my opinion...:)

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The iPod Touch definitely struggles to play some of the newer high-end games. The good news is that I didn't really notice it until I got my iPad Air. It remains my go-to device for pictures as I find my Note 3 much to bulky and the wrist-loop on the iPod Touch is a great addition. I'm still on Android for my phone and while they share a lot of apps in common, I will bring my iPod with me if I want a certain iOS app (usually a game) but need the improved portability over the Air.

The main issue with the iPod isn't that it isn't a great device (because it's a crazy awesome pocket computer) but that it doesn't do anything an iPhone doesn't do. It can be a good buddy device for powering those high-end apps that would eat away at your iPhone's battery life but it isn't an every day device for me, more of a situational device. And it was in that position long before I got my iPad Air.

But yeah, I can't recommend the thing enough. It may not be for everyone but it is awesome. Super light compared to a phone and the finish just feels good to handle.

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Personally I think an iPod touch nowadays isn't more than a slightly lighter, thinner iPhone without phones functions.
An iPhone 5c or 5s is equal or better than first iPhone and fifth generation iPod touch together.
If I were you I'd buy an iPhone 5c or 5s instead the iPod touch,save the first iPhone for 100 years, finally sell it(the first iPhone) for millions of dollars.
An iPod touch is perfect for an "apple" family's children. Because of face time, iMessage and iOS ecosystem. And new iOS 8 function "family sharing" too😉

Posted via iMore App

drysdalk

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I did in fact go ahead with the iPod touch purchase - the day before the price cut, naturally ! However the Apple Store were very good, and effectively gave me the price difference back. I had to do it as a return and re-purchase of the same unit, but it was as simple as them just scanning the barcode on the package, and that was that.

I've been really enjoying it. It's my first time using an iPhone 5-style screen, and there is definitely a big difference in colour quality and clarity when compared to the iPhone 4/4S screen (my wife has a 4S). I've found it quicker and/or easier than the iPad for some tasks, mainly using Twitter, and for some games (especially those that involve having to rotate the device a lot - e.g. Device 6).

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I did in fact go ahead with the iPod touch purchase - the day before the price cut, naturally ! However the Apple Store were very good, and effectively gave me the price difference back. I had to do it as a return and re-purchase of the same unit, but it was as simple as them just scanning the barcode on the package, and that was that.

I've been really enjoying it. It's my first time using an iPhone 5-style screen, and there is definitely a big difference in colour quality and clarity when compared to the iPhone 4/4S screen (my wife has a 4S). I've found it quicker and/or easier than the iPad for some tasks, mainly using Twitter, and for some games (especially those that involve having to rotate the device a lot - e.g. Device 6).

Glad you're happy with it! Enjoy your new iPod Touch! :)

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Personally I think an iPod touch nowadays isn't more than a slightly lighter, thinner iPhone without phones functions.
An iPhone 5c or 5s is equal or better than first iPhone and fifth generation iPod touch together.
If I were you I'd buy an iPhone 5c or 5s instead the iPod touch,save the first iPhone for 100 years, finally sell it(the first iPhone) for millions of dollars.
An iPod touch is perfect for an "apple" family's children. Because of face time, iMessage and iOS ecosystem. And new iOS 8 function "family sharing" too

Posted via iMore App

And it's very cheap too!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4