Can you plug a flash drive into the new iPad?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Re: type c

Maybe. I know they make lightning port flash drives already, so I can't see why a usb c device wouldn't work too.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

I’ve heard you can’t use external drives, I’m sure everyone knows that. I also curious about that. Might put my iTunes movies on it.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

I’ve heard you can’t use external drives, I’m sure everyone knows that. I also curious about that. Might put my iTunes movies on it.

Can you show where they said on the new 3rd iPad Pro 12.9/11.0 with USB C that you can't back up through USB C or transfer files? I can transfer now on my 10.5 Pro with the Lexar Jumpdrive Lightning to USB 3.0 C20i

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Sorry if I made a mistake but everyone knows you can’t add extra storage either internal or external to any iPhone or iPad.

If you could than everyone would buy the 64 gb one.

Last edited:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if I made a mistake but everyone knows you can’t add extra storage either internal or external to any iPhone or iPad.

If you could than everyone would buy the 64 gb one.

I don't think anyone asked if you can add a SD card permanently like a 1TB to extend your storage, but there are certainly ways to use external drives to read/transfer stuff to/from the iPad. Been doing it since iPad Air 2.

Steven Sabo

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site

Can you show where they said on the new 3rd iPad Pro 12.9/11.0 with USB C that you can't back up through USB C or transfer files? I can transfer now on my 10.5 Pro with the Lexar Jumpdrive Lightning to USB 3.0 C20i

But when you use Lexars lightning flash drives, you use lexars app to backup and transfer files. The files app does not recognize an external drive on an iPad. So if drive companies create a native app, that would do the trick.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

But when you use Lexars lightning flash drives, you use lexars app to backup and transfer files. The files app does not recognize an external drive on an iPad. So if drive companies create a native app, that would do the trick.

Yes, but it's still an option, even if not native.

Not counting of course dragging and dropping from iPad/Itunes or iMazing or TunesGo, or of course Box, DropBox, Google Drive, etc.. I never found it to be an issue getting items from a-b.

Considering now it's showing you can transfer raw files from Camera to iPad using USB-C, I am sure something is happening.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
But i don’t think you can use an external drive like a SSD or hard drive to store iTunes movies and than watch them on the iPad.

Can this be done? It would save some space.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is something that so many of us need from an iPad. I want a second backup for my photos. I think they’re going to have to add this soon, I guess the next big iOS update. I hope it’s in March, like they did a few years ago.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Apple makes so much money from us now, why would they add an option for adding extra storage? I don’t think they will. EVER!

But this is just my opinion.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
But i don’t think you can use an external drive like a SSD or hard drive to store iTunes movies and than watch them on the iPad.

Can this be done? It would save some space.

Nope, that cannot be done... your best bet is the $2.99 per month cloud storage.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Funny thing is... even on devices that I can use a flash drive, between Dropbox & OneDrive, there's never been a thought of using local storage.

I ordered the 256GB iPad Pro 12.9 +cellular (upgraded from the 1st Gen 128GB). At least in my case, that's MORE than I'll need and I feel very confident that I have a lot more cloud storage readily available.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Originally I ordered a 256 as that's what I have now, but since I had to re-order since BestBuy flaked... I got a 512GB for Resale Value and with full Photoshop CC coming, I may want to move 200-300GB of Raw Files over there, since I am working on a couple books.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Nope, that cannot be done... your best bet is the $2.99 per month cloud storage.

Their is one thing that I don’t understand about iCloud storage. Let’s say for example I bought a movie on iTunes and downloaded it and put it in the cloud. When I want to watch it do I have to be on WiFi to take out of the cloud? Will I use my cellular data when I’m not on WiFi?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Their is one thing that I don’t understand about iCloud storage. Let’s say for example I bought a movie on iTunes and downloaded it and put it in the cloud. When I want to watch it do I have to be on WiFi to take out of the cloud? Will I use my cellular data when I’m not on WiFi?

I am not the best to ask, since I don’t buy movies. But I believe you can’t actually save the movies back to storage as you don’t own the movie, you own the ability to watch the movie. iTunes Movies, Shows, Music does not count towards iCloud storage.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
But now you buy it, isn’t it yours? I know a dvd is yours, but is it different on iTunes? If it’s not mine to own, can they just take it back whenever they want?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
But now you buy it, isn’t it yours? I know a dvd is yours, but is it different on iTunes? If it’s not mine to own, can they just take it back whenever they want?

It's covered under DRM it's not something you can download and/or store on 3rd party media. You can stream it from any device where you're logged in under your Apple ID.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bannana2000