• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Can social media (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) access other apps on my iPhone?

I

iMore Question

I recently discovered the "ad tracking" feature which was implemented in one of the previous iOS updates. Initially, I was under the impression that this feature only functioned within each individual app (for example, "promoted tweets" on Twitter pertain to who or what a user follows, likes, or retweets). However, as I researched further, several sources claimed that apps such as Facebook and Twitter could view and record actions on other apps (such as search results, recently viewed pages, and interests that were not explicitly stated by the user on social media) in order to gather data on individual users and streamline advertising. Specifically, I read that so long as there is a Twitter or Facebook button embedded on a web page, the two respective apps could receive data from the site the user is visiting even if the user chose not to link said site to social media.

In summary, my questions boil down to this:

1) Do Facebook, Twitter, and other social media apps track my actions on other apps/browsers?
2) If so, is the data collected associated directly with my social media accounts (as in my username is directly paired with the data) or is it done anonymously?
3) Does hitting "Reset Advertising Identifier" in my iPhone settings clear all data gathered for the sake of personalized advertisements, or is the data still associated with my social media accounts?

Any and all help is appreciated, the idea that social media apps can clandestinely gather data from other apps and search engines on my iPhone is off-putting.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
They all do all sorts of things just to show you ads. When Facebook keeps asking for personal info such as school, job, location, and other profile info, it's to target ads. That's why they're so persistent with it. You're going to get ads, whether targeted or not. The only way around it is use a VPN. You can use Tweetbot for Twitter and Friendly + for Facebook.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
poplolzz