• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Can I still purchase Apple Care after having already purchased an iPhone?

Carraser23

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I just bought an iPhone through Verizon and they offered Apple Care but I wanted time to think about it. Can I still purchase it through Apple customer service?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

You have 60 days to purchase Apple Care from Apple. Because you have already opened the device you will need to take it to an Apple Store so that they can make sure there is no damage to the device. They will then add it to your serial number for $99 ... I am a big fan of apple care and always cover my iDevices with it.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Yes, you have 60 days to add AppleCare + to your iPhone. You can call and try an add it but they may require you to go to an Apple Store so they can see the iPhone and verify that it is not already damaged. More info straight from Apple:

iPhone - AppleCare Plus - Apple

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
You have 30 days to purchase Apple Care from Apple.

Nope, 60 days

Because you have already opened the device you will need to take it to an Apple Store so that they can make sure there is no damage to the device.

Maybe, maybe not. I have added AppleCare+ to an iPhone after buying it with a phone call to Apple. They have a remote diagnostic procedure they can run. I would try that first...

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Nope, 60 days

Maybe, maybe not. I have added AppleCare+ to an iPhone after buying it with a phone call to Apple. They have a remote diagnostic procedure they can run. I would try that first...

I called to add to my iPhone 6s Plus and was told by apple that I had to take it in to the Apple Store for "Physical Inspection" - Perhaps the policy has changed.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I called to add to my iPhone 6s Plus and was told by apple that I had to take it in to the Apple Store for "Physical Inspection" - Perhaps the policy has changed.

I think the remote diagnostic procedure is relatively new, but I have added AC+ over the phone AND I have been told to go to a store for a physical inspection of an iPhone -- so I would start with a phone call for convenience-sake and go from there!

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The remote diagnostics is good to make sure the phone is functional but the physical inspection checks for cracked glass as well. If you have a store nearby maybe just take it in and get AppleCare+ now before something does happen and it's too late.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The remote diagnostics is good to make sure the phone is functional but the physical inspection checks for cracked glass as well. If you have a store nearby maybe just take it in and get AppleCare+ now before something does happen and it's too late.

Can't blame Apple for doing this. Don't want people using it as a "Get out of Jail Free" card

DevinNJ

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Just added AppleCare last night over the phone. Almost 60 days later, no questions asked, no phone inspection. And for the 6s and 6s+ it's $129 for the coverage.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Just added AppleCare last night over the phone. Almost 60 days later, no questions asked, no phone inspection. And for the 6s and 6s+ it's $129 for the coverage.

This has been my experience as well. Apple Store scare tactic!

Chief G-Hawk

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

You have 60 days to purchase Apple Care from Apple. Because you have already opened the device you will need to take it to an Apple Store so that they can make sure there is no damage to the device. They will then add it to your serial number for $99 ... I am a big fan of apple care and always cover my iDevices with it.

I believe it's $129.00 for the 6S and 6S Plus and not $99.00

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Virgule