Camera Issues on the 12 Pro Max

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
So when taking photos like the one attached I get a ton of green dots in my photos. Anybody notice this and is it a software bug or a hardware issue? Curious if it’s across all devices or maybe something I should contact apple about.

Attachments

• 681ADFCF-144D-4DC0-B831-8BF3409F1900.jpg
    681ADFCF-144D-4DC0-B831-8BF3409F1900.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Camera Issues on Max

So when taking photos like the one attached I get a ton of green dots in my photos. Anybody notice this and is it a software bug or a hardware issue? Curious if it’s across all devices or maybe something I should contact apple about.

If I’m looking at the “green dots” I think you’re referring to, they are the double reflection of the Christmas tree.

Daedalus

Nov 10, 2020
Visit site

Looks like he is getting artifacts in the pictures. If you look at the kid's hair and back you can see them and they do not look like a reflection off the camera lens to me.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2016
Visit site

Looks like he is getting artifacts in the pictures. If you look at the kid's hair and back you can see them and they do not look like a reflection off the camera lens to me.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve seen in a lot of in any pictures with light in the field of view. I just actually watched Mr. Mobiles review and he mentioned that being a issue as well. That now makes me wonder more if it’s random between devices and should be swapped out or if it’s a across the board.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

Unfortunately this happens with any lens with multiple elements. AR coatings help but not eliminate these artifacts. The brighter the point source the worse this is.
If you activate raw and snap a pic and open on a workstation with an image editor you will see those dots mimic the original source. Also, when previewing on the screen if you change the angle you will see the dots move proportionately.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2016
Visit site

Unfortunately this happens with any lens with multiple elements. AR coatings help but not eliminate these artifacts. The brighter the point source the worse this is.
If you activate raw and snap a pic and open on a workstation with an image editor you will see those dots mimic the original source. Also, when previewing on the screen if you change the angle you will see the dots move proportionately.

I’m aware of this, but the concerns are how much it happens on this versus my 11 Pro Max. It was not anywhere as noticeable so I’m curious if it was a one off issue with my phone or a 12 Pro Max issue. I didn’t even see it as significant on my 12 Pro I had before my Max.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

I’m aware of this, but the concerns are how much it happens on this versus my 11 Pro Max. It was not anywhere as noticeable so I’m curious if it was a one off issue with my phone or a 12 Pro Max issue. I didn’t even see it as significant on my 12 Pro I had before my Max.

AR coating quality is everything as element count goes up. It would be interesting for reviewers to obtain several review samples preferably at different times to see if there is a difference among samples concerning internal reflections.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Camera Issues on Max

They are not the same cameras. The iPhone 12 Pro has a new 7 element lens on the main wide lens. This could most certainly be the cause of light reflection and lens flair with certain lighting conditions. The larger iPhone 12 Pro Max variant has a 47 percent larger sensor on the main wide camera.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Mar 28, 2016
Visit site

They are not the same cameras. The iPhone 12 Pro has a new 7 element lens on the main wide lens. This could most certainly be the cause of light reflection and lens flair with certain lighting conditions. The larger iPhone 12 Pro Max variant has a 47 percent larger sensor on the main wide camera.

Yeah, the extra light coupled with the coating could be the perfect combo.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

FWIW, I was taking some low light pics with native and Halide camera apps and saw the artifacts on screen but they were more obvious in the Halide image. The Apple processing seemed to have cut it.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

ff1a3d01719d98d0da9ea92382425d9b.jpg

This was from last Xmas and my iPhone 11 did the same when I took a pic of my son near the Xmas tree

Raneciansamaiya

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

I've seen this in my photos taken with my iPhone 12 Pro Max and thought it was to the rejection. I watched Mr. Mobile video also and it's a know issue. Not sure how to correct it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr Vindhya Gemaraju