Breaking: Twitter LIVE

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
It's really sad what's going on at Twitter. I personally am trying to safe the lists of people I'm following so that I can find them on other social networks. It seems Instagram and Mastodon are popular alternatives in my circle.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I looked at Mastadon, and it seems cumbersome... more like Reddit and Discord, but it's definitely a start. I keep hoping that Twitter survives, but I'm really beginning to wonder.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I looked at Mastadon, and it seems cumbersome... more like Reddit and Discord, but it's definitely a start. I keep hoping that Twitter survives, but I'm really beginning to wonder.

Mastodon is a little bit different from Twitter, but it's not terribly difficult. The most difficult thing is to create an account and following people (you need the full name, like @username@servername). Once you have those things nailed down, we're in a similar situation to Twitter :)

I don't think it will ever fully replace Twitter, but at least it will give it a run for Musk's money.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m not interested in signing up for a social network, but I am interested in seeing what service could possibly replace Twitter’s news/breaking news coverage. It was second to none when I had a Twitter account.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Mastodon is a little bit different from Twitter, but it's not terribly difficult. The most difficult thing is to create an account and following people (you need the full name, like @username@servername). Once you have those things nailed down, we're in a similar situation to Twitter :)

I don't think it will ever fully replace Twitter, but at least it will give it a run for Musk's money.

Someone wrote a little tips site for those wanting to get into Mastodon: https://fedi.tips/ :)

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the mass exodus! I did see where Elvira said she was leaving. But hasn't. LOL

The only mass exodus that I have heard about is from the staff.

The numbers are unclear at this point. From what I heard, Twitter has 12% of the staffing it used to have around 2022-10-01 (938 out of the original estimates of 7500). 50% layoffs in the first wave, plus firings for criticizing the CEO, and finally 75% let go yesteday.
The payroll and tax departments have allegedly left in full yesterday at 17:00 EST. Many engineering departments have done so as well.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I still have it and use it for photography. I don’t care to be verified and I definitely won’t pay for it.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The only mass exodus that I have heard about is from the staff.

The numbers are unclear at this point. From what I heard, Twitter has 12% of the staffing it used to have around 2022-10-01 (938 out of the original estimates of 7500). 50% layoffs in the first wave, plus firings for criticizing the CEO, and finally 75% let go yesteday.
The payroll and tax departments have allegedly left in full yesterday at 17:00 EST. Many engineering departments have done so as well.

That's what I figured. And I expected that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiprasad