Birthday Notifications

IamHahn

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't think contact based birthdays offer a reminder. I'd say add an event in calendar.
Go to calendar -> hold down on the day to create an event-> put in specifics and add a reminder.

There may be a way to do this through contacts, sorry but I don't know how.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Go to Settings / Mail, Contacts and Calendars and tap the Default Alert Times option. There you can set the default reminder for Birthdays.

Do you know of a way for contacts "anniversaries" to alert on iPhone? So far I haven't found a way without a 3rd party app such as "occasions" (which actually works quite well)

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
thanks for this..
'
this must be a new addition because I dont remember seeing this in ios4

It is new with iOS 5 and is a welcome addition. In iOS 4 there was no way to be reminded about birthdays unless you entered them into the calendar like normal appointments.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It is new with iOS 5 and is a welcome addition. In iOS 4 there was no way to be reminded about birthdays unless you entered them into the calendar like normal appointments.

Not sure why "anniversaries" wasn't included ...... I guess one thing at a time

Also, it would be nice to be able to display/subscribe to "Holidays" like in google calendar. Is there a way to do this where "U.S. Holidays" are displayed on the iPhone calendar? This would be a nice upgrade and would allow me to get rid of a 3rd party app that currently fills this gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

Also, it would be nice to be able to display/subscribe to "Holidays" like in google calendar. Is there a way to do this where "U.S. Holidays" are displayed on the iPhone calendar? This would be a nice upgrade and would allow me to get rid of a 3rd party app that currently fills this gap.

It's not a native feature on iOS 5, I use the app USAHolidays. It inserts the holidays into your calendar and works well.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
It's not a native feature on iOS 5, I use the app USAHolidays. It inserts the holidays into your calendar and works well.

I hear ya..... I use "occasions" app which works well. I just wish it was native to ios5 calendar that all 3 (contact birthdays, contact anniversaries and holidays) displayed on the calendar with notification/alert options. Maybe on future updates.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I use smart sync it basically it sync your contacts with all your Facebook contacts automatically or manual but it also has a bday reminder built right in and adds all the bdays too your calendar app .. I know not every person u may know has a fb but it can get alot of them and limit how many your do by hand

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Reactions: E_Brown

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I use smart sync it basically it sync your contacts with all your Facebook contacts automatically or manual but it also has a bday reminder built right in and adds all the bdays too your calendar app .. I know not every person u may know has a fb but it can get alot of them and limit how many your do by hand

Good tip, just not feasible for the three or four of us out here who refuse to use Facebook.

Globe101

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
the proper way of adding birthday to your calendar is actually going into the person's contact card, click on add a field, click on birthday set birthday. it will automatically show up in ur calendar as a birthday not an event.

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
the proper way of adding birthday to your calendar is actually going into the person's contact card, click on add a field, click on birthday set birthday. it will automatically show up in ur calendar as a birthday not an event.

Correct, that's why he was asking about how to set a reminder for birthday events set up that way.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The app I said actually pulls the bday into into the contact on your phone same as doing manually other than that I think you would have to manually set them

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

If you have a Hotmail or Live account, then it will populate holidays into the iPhone Calendar, so I get them in my Calendar without a problem.

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

This is how I do it and it works. I have the alert set to remind me the day before.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If u use gmail also and say add other calendars like holidays , moon phases or even share with another person .. To make them show on your phone in safari go to m.google.com/sync then select your iPhone or iPad or whatever the. Check what calendars you want it too sync .and show just because you add them on gmail don't mean they automatically show ... I know no one asked but thought I would share since it took me a while to figure this out

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iSkippy