• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

best way to store login and passwords??

Jgittere

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Just read an article about security flaws found in both the iPhone and Android platforms, and the numerous iPhone apps which can scan your address book.

The article didn't mention which apps. Have you heard which apps have security flaws? I store all my login and password info (in short form) in my address book.

Any suggestions on where/how to store all the password info we have these days? I want to be able to access it on my iphone and my macbook.

Thanks

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have used 1Password for a long time now. It covers the wide range, uses 256bit encryption offers an iPhone|iTouch|iPad and a desktop version for MAC and Windows I believe is in beta. Really a solid app and you can tap (click) the link and auto login to the site.

toomanyphones

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
Your address book is the worse place to keep passwords. There are many apps that can (some with your permission) like words with friends and facebook. I have used 1password amd I now use Lastpass with the recommendation of Steve Gibson of gibson securities.

Last edited:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
That thread doesn't answer the OP's question of whether anyone knows which apps are getting info from address books. I'd like to know that answer, too, if anyone knows.
It actually does. The OP asked what the best way to store pws 'these days'
and wanted it to sync with his iPhone and mac.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Just read an article about security flaws found in both the iPhone and Android platforms, and the numerous iPhone apps which can scan your address book.

The article didn't mention which apps. Have you heard which apps have security flaws? I store all my login and password info (in short form) in my address book.

Any suggestions on where/how to store all the password info we have these days? I want to be able to access it on my iphone and my macbook.

Thanks
I'm using 1Password. No mac, but they have an app for my iPhone,
Nexus One (Android) and Windows (currently in beta). I use it w/
dropbox, which I find to be the best combination.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
My passwords are in my head. They are all variations of the same root, but written in different languages. If you can't memorize your passwords, go see a neurologist.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
But again - why duplicate the thread. This is now identical to the thread I referenced earlier.

Nobody asked what apps get information from an address book. The OP said he kept passwords in his address book - really dumb move - which is why he wanted an app to do it.

Mickyfin

Jul 3, 2010
nokiadna.com
I have used 1Password for a long time now. It covers the wide range, uses 256bit encryption offers an iPhone|iTouch|iPad and a desktop version for MAC and Windows I believe is in beta. Really a solid app and you can tap (click) the link and auto login to the site.

Another vote for 1Password here, its so good, I cannot live without it now, have it on my MBP, Windows machine, and will be buying it for my White iP4 too.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
1password just updated recently to include sync'ing through dropbox, so now you dont need to wirelessly sync (via wifi) to your mac. the DB stored on dropbox is still encrypted so anyone that obtains access to your data will still need to figure out how to decrypt that mess..

-Step 1, write down those items from your addressbook
-Step 2, delete it
-Step 3, download one of the MANY programs that use secure encryption to store your items
-Step 4, go to itunes and subscribe to Security Now podcast, and scare yourself to death over what you did... Theres a plethora of information and reviews of 1password and Last Pass on that podcast.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Step 5 - Change each and every single password you had written down.

Question to all: A little off topic, but how many actually change their
passwords consistently? Every week, month, bi-monthly or whatever
the case.

Jgittere

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
But again - why duplicate the thread. This is now identical to the thread I referenced earlier.

Nobody asked what apps get information from an address book. The OP said he kept passwords in his address book - really dumb move - which is why he wanted an app to do it.

Alli -
Actually if you look at my original post, I did ask the following question.

"The article didn't mention which apps. Have you heard which apps have security flaws? I store all my login and password info (in short form) in my address book."

For those of you with actual helpful information rather than responding with hateful spew. Thanks.

I will never understand why people have to be so rude because the internet is not a face to face interaction.

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Do I want my passwords out on a cloud like DropBox? In theory, that is supposed to be secure, but really?

i would be concerned as well... but its basically doubled locked... first lock is ur username/pw on DropBox, second lock is your master password; PLEASE MAKE SURE THEY'RE NO THE SAME PW.

Jgittere

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I just purchased 1Password for my Mac. I am now changing all my passwords and using the save feature to automatically add each login to 1Password. Thanks for the suggestions. I like it so far!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blin